Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2007 EX as a work beater car for its 4WD and cargo.

I've had it a few months now, and this past Wednesday, the charging light came on on the dash. I limped home and made it almost all the way (1.1 mi!) before it shut down.

I put a new alternator in it, and the old one tested fail at the auto-parts store. I watched the fail result come up on the machine, but that doesn't mean it was properly connected (being paranoid, I'm sure, but the guy seemed a little confused by the equipment). Battery tested good but low charge when it was tested (2 year old Duralast Gold 51A 500 CCA).

I pulled the alternator fuse under the dash and it was fine. Put a new one in anyway.

What's next in this logic train? It is definitely not charging. Multimeter told me 12.3 volts off, 11.6 volts fluctuating when I started the car. I have a bunch of generic codes the auto parts guy's code-reader gave me:

83-1 ECU failure/loss of communication
86-1 General Communication failure
P16bb Generator system low voltage
P0562 Charging system

This is a recent failure, so could the ECM have gone belly-up on Wednesday? Google searching tells me these are all ECM- or charging system related. Unsurprisingly.

Honda dealer quoted me $768 plus tax for new ECM. Hoping I don't have to go that route, but will do what I must to get this back on the road.

I'm hoping for good news from people, but prepared for the worst.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Paul

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Yeap

Take it to a proper shop to be sorted out. Could be a bad ground connection, fuse fuse box issue and so on. Seeing your limited ability to diagnose having a proper shop sort it out will save you a lot of money in the long run wasting money on parts. Most auto part stores are not equipped to test import alternators correctly (and some their testing equipment often times will show a brand new alternator as bad though its fine).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Not-a-Mechanic
392 Posts
................................ Multimeter told me 12.3 volts off, 11.6 volts fluctuating when I started the car. ...................
After it's started it should be above 13, if it sits at 11.6 or so it's not charging. Could just be a bad cable/wire/connector or ground since you've checked/replaced the other stuff. I've seen the big wire corrode inside the sheath and look fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After it's started it should be above 13, if it sits at 11.6 or so it's not charging. Could just be a bad cable/wire/connector or ground since you've checked/replaced the other stuff. I've seen the big wire corrode inside the sheath and look fine.
Thank you for this reply. It's easy to say, "take it to a garage," so I appreciate a possible concrete issue to check.

Best,

Paul

·
Everything in Moderation
8,151 Posts
Have you measured resistance between the battery + and starter? Battery - and engine block?

You are looking for less than 0.5 ohms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts