Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. After totaling my 2008 three weeks ago, I am deciding between two 2007 EXLs, one (130K miles) that has a "normal" radio, and a more expensive one (98K miles) with the screen for backup camera and navigation (DVDs in the console). I am not interested in navigation, I have a phone for that. I DO want to get an after-market radio so I can add Bluetooth. Should I just buy the cheaper car, give up the back up camera, since I'm planning to swap out the radio anyway? I am tempted by the car with only 98,000 on it, but don't want hassles with the nav system. I plan to drive the car about 4 years and put about 60,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts
Either choice is fine. How much of a price difference between the twos? If they are not much difference I would personally recommend the EX-L with Nav, as the back up camera is quite valuable and convenience to have, especially in tight parallel parking space. Other than that, if they are both been well maintain with services record and feel good when you drive it, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either choice is fine. How much of a price difference between the twos? If they are not much difference I would personally recommend the EX-L with Nav, as the back up camera is quite valuable and convenience to have, especially in tight parallel parking space. Other than that, if they are both been well maintain with services record and feel good when you drive it, you can't go wrong.
Thanks, there is about $1500 difference between them due to a difference of 30,000 miles. EX=L with Nav is a 1-owner car, will have a mechanic check it out.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
If you plan to go aftermarket, which is what I am going to do with my '07 EX-L with no NAV, The aftermarket setup can be outfitted to have the features you want.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I installed my own, so it was only the cost of the components I bought. Getting the dash apart was a little tricky since most of it snaps together, but otherwise it's easy.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I'd still go with the one with the Nav unit, but because of the lower mileage. The plus is that the Nav option means an aftermarket install might be a little less complicated and expensive. Just remember that the '08 may have had some features the '07 does not, such as a power seat, phone controls on the steering wheel, Bluetooth, subwoofer, etc., some of which became available in '08 or '09 or... I can't remember which became available when, but my '07 EX-L (no Nav) does not have them.

Be sure to let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd still go with the one with the Nav unit, but because of the lower mileage. The plus is that the Nav option means an aftermarket install might be a little less complicated and expensive. Just remember that the '08 may have had some features the '07 does not, such as a power seat, phone controls on the steering wheel, Bluetooth, subwoofer, etc., some of which became available in '08 or '09 or... I can't remember which became available when, but my '07 EX-L (no Nav) does not have them.

Be sure to let us know the outcome.
Thanks, I came to the same conclusion - the lower mileage trumps nav unit. Since the 07 is a higher trim level (EXL) than my 08 (EX), I gained additional features and didn't lose anything (I figured I would have to add BT to any of the models in the 07-09 range). I LOVE the radio controls on the steering wheel, so I was avoiding the LX model which does not offer them. But now I have an extra cargo shelf to sell on Craigslist:)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I really didn't want the leather, but it had dual climate controls--seeing that my better half is hot one minute and freezing the next, it saves us a little sanity. ?I just wish the heated seats worked--they are famous for burning out elements inside the seat. Our Acura TL had three spots in the elements that were burned through from overheating. (It's a very thin wire, so it can break easily.) I haven't had time to pull the seat out, remove the leather and fix the element.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I have some similar issues with the EX-L vs the EX. I'd rather have cloth seats, as the leather ones are harder, less comfortable, and the covers don't hold up as well long term. Leather is much more difficult to care for and not nearly as durable. Also, I have no use for heated seats, as the climate where I live takes care of that issue automatically. :giggle: I would like air conditioned seats, though. But then, I'd also like a 5-speed manual. But, you know what they say - Wish in one hand, and... If I could go back, I'd have gotten an EX. I actually looked at an '09 EX, but it had higher miles and wasn't as pristine as the '07 I got, and not as good a deal either. So, in the end, it all comes down to overall condition. Looks like you got yourself a clean car! Nice!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really didn't want the leather, but it had dual climate controls--seeing that my better half is hot one minute and freezing the next, it saves us a little sanity. ?I just wish the heated seats worked--they are famous for burning out elements inside the seat. Our Acura TL had three spots in the elements that were burned through from overheating. (It's a very thin wire, so it can break easily.) I haven't had time to pull the seat out, remove the leather and fix the element.
Good to know about the heated seats - mine still work at this point. I also prefer cloth interior, as I like to drive to the gym first thing in the AM in shorts and I live in a cold climate so leather seats are a little JARRING in the cold temps. Heated seats helps a little with that. The armrests are all cracked - look like crap. Will have to replace those.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have some similar issues with the EX-L vs the EX. I'd rather have cloth seats, as the leather ones are harder, less comfortable, and the covers don't hold up as well long term. Leather is much more difficult to care for and not nearly as durable. Also, I have no use for heated seats, as the climate where I live takes care of that issue automatically. :giggle: I would like air conditioned seats, though. But then, I'd also like a 5-speed manual. But, you know what they say - Wish in one hand, and... If I could go back, I'd have gotten an EX. I actually looked at an '09 EX, but it had higher miles and wasn't as pristine as the '07 I got, and not as good a deal either. So, in the end, it all comes down to overall condition. Looks like you got yourself a clean car! Nice!
Same thing here, the car I wrecked was an EX, but when looking for a replacement, saw very few EX models in my area. Tons of EX-L's and a few LX's. Maybe next time . .

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
The armrests are all cracked - look like crap. Will have to replace those.
There is replacement "leather" on eBay--some claim to be genuine leather, others are microfiber leather. It involves removing the armrest from the door and using contact cement to attach the new material.

The dealer may still have replacements but they are very expensive.There was a TSB on the leather at some point, also, which provided new Honda part numbers which I believe are less susceptible to the bubbling/cracking of the leather. It's not just the CR-V--I've seen Acura TLs, TSXs, Honda Accords, etc. of the same era that had the same issues with the armrests, both on the doors and on the center console armrests in those cars.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
You can buy both the door armrest and the seat armrest replacement leather covers on eBay and Amazon for relatively cheap. The tan ones are a bit darker than OE, but not a major deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts