Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not 100%, but it happens sometimes after driving for a while and or when the engine fans kick on.
Most noticeable when sitting at a red light and the car is in drive. The car never stalls, but definitely a rough idle when it happens.
No issues when I accelerate away from a stop.

2007 CR-V EX with 74,000 miles, purchased 2 weeks ago from a private res.
Some things I've done since I bought the car and after I already noticed the rough idling.

New NGK IR spark plugs
Transmission fluid flush
Bled the cooling system
Power steering fluid flush
Air & cabin filters replaced

Oil had recently been done before I purchased the car (no record of what was installed)

Not sure where to go from here. I'm not qualified to do a vacuum test or valve adjustment(s), which I've read could be possible culprits?
I've been running 87 gas

Any ideas?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Go to YouTube and watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWCKvU2FmDc

Then search his other videos for how to diagnose and clean/solve other idle problems. This is reliable and simple good information from the best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the exact same problem, that turned out to be a bad coil pack (on a 2007 Fit - different engine, of course, but maybe the same coil pack supplier?). It ran fine except sometimes when idling, and seemed more likely to misfire after warming up, and when there was an electrical load (fan, A/C, rear window defroster). I bought 1 Denso coil pack for ~$70, and swapped it one at a time with each original one. On cyl #3 it fixed it.

I saw much cheaper coil packs for sale, but from what I've read it's probably best to avoid them. Anyway, if other, cheaper things don't fix it this may be worth a try. I suspect most places won't let you return a coil pack if it turns out not to help (got mine on Ebay).

Search Youtube for "How to Diagnose and Repair a Misfiring and Rough Running Honda Fit" (I'm new here & can't post links yet)

·
Registered
340 Posts
When you say rough idle do you mean a flutter? Where the car is idling, say at 7000rpm and rpms will drop a little then return to where they were. If that's what your describing then it's pretty much normal. Ours has done that since new. I've seen others do it too.

It seems to happen more in the summer when the cooling fans are cycling a lot.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,920 Posts
IAC (Idle Air Control Valve) could be the issue...

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Go to YouTube and watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWCKvU2FmDc

Then search his other videos for how to diagnose and clean/solve other idle problems. This is reliable and simple good information from the best.
the best lmao. I've probably forgot more than that guy knows.

He does videos that are condescending as hell, acts like a salesman and yet to see a video on something my 12yr old couldnt do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
I've probably forgot more than that guy knows.

He does videos that are condescending as hell, acts like a salesman and yet to see a video on something my 12yr old couldnt do.
If you REALLY want a laff, search 'Scotty Kilmer Parody' on YouTube. :angel2:

You KNOW you are famous when your videos are parodied! That said, Scotty sometimes provides good insight into issues...

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Tigris - Sorry, but nope. Scotty Kilmer is a master. There is no substitute for experience or talent, and there are very few people out there who have both. Scotty is one of them. Don't be a hater just because you don't get his sense of humor. The only thing he tries to sell is common sense. Nothing is condescending in that. He likes to have fun with it, and that is not a bad thing. You most certainly can get there one day, so keep at it, but respect your elders. It's the wise thing to do. If anything is sure, it is that you will never know all he knows, because there is no way you can ever catch up, unless you have a time machine, and that young man's attitude you have won't help - it's condescending. Got a twelve-year-old, eh? Enjoy it while you can. My youngest granddaughter is 20, and Scotty is older than me. I think.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've seen his videos before, didn't know if he was legit or not, he's a bit over the top and LOUD, but he has some good info.
I cleaned the MAV and am waiting to do the throttle next (once the rain stops) Just spraying out the MAV has made a difference, probably will be even better after cleaning out the throttle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds pretty close. I think you mean "idling at 1000 rpm"? or 700?
The idle will drop a bit and stay there yes, but eventually return to normal.
While the idle has dropped the body vibrates pretty good, until it returns to normal. I had a 2008 and don't recall this issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW, your response is the only one I received an email alert for. Is this an issue with the site, or??

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would be reluctant to do the throttle body clean as the ECU is unable to compensate for very slight changes to the "set" position of the throttle body butterfly at idle. If the Butterfly, TB or TB stops are pretty gunky and you clean it, the butterfly will then be able to close more completely and the idle will be fast. To correct this, you will have to have someone with a bidirectional OBD2 computer perform the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) recalibration as this is a "drive by wire" TB.

This is NOT the same as an Idle Relearn and is not something that a shade tree mechanic can do, and won't be remedied by a ECU reset (disconnecting battery, removing back-up fuse) it requires a BIDIRECTIONAL OBD2 computer...not a scan tool.

Lesson learned personally:
Thread I posted on Bob Is The Oil Guy

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I seriously doubt the computer would not be able to handle a freshly clean throttle body, since it should be within the set parameters. I've seen instances where one was literally packed with leaves and bugs where the air filter had been removed, and I've seen them caked with sludge too, and a simple cleaning brought everything back up to snuff. Of course, on a car in that condition there are likely to be other issues too due to poor maintenance. If after cleaning and a new air filter, the idle was still an issue, I would then look at idle load compensation, which is what raises the idle slightly under loads such as the A/C. From that point there are all sorts of possibilities. Luckily, my factory service manual has a big fat troubleshooting section with step by step procedures, which, if nothing else, will give you a better idea what's going on. After that I go see my trusty ace mechanic/wizard, who is fully equipped. My CR-V is complicated, but it's not a rocket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts