Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter September's CR-V of the month Challenge HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm the new boy here, so bear with me

I've just acquired a 2007 CRV, and the Satnav looks dated and clunky, compared to today's touch screen models. Can anyone recommend a more modern replacement that doesn't require a degree in electronics to set up?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree, it is dated and clunky looking, I have an ‘09 w the Nav.. I’ve just learned to live with it, bought a Bluetooth adapter (that plugs into the aux port) and then use my phone mounted on the dash (w/Nav app open on phone) so that it plays through the audio system. Not worth the fix in my opinion. I think it’s an Alpine system w the subwoofer so pretty good for factory stuff (although I’ve read a lot of people complaining about the subwoofer).. my sub seems to sound pretty decent!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
My '07 does not have Nav, just the midrange unit, but I am also fixing to do a full audio upgrade. I plan to go with a Kenwood head unit, a 4-channel amp, new speakers, and a powered sub. Nothing window-rattling, just good clean sound. I may end up with a "multimedia" unit, which is one with no CD player, as my entire music collection is ripped. I will be adding a USB external drive with the music on it. I will also get Bluetooth for my Android phone, and a back-up camera. There are lots of choices for head units with these features/capabilities.

If you plan to do the install yourself, you don't have to be an engineer, but you will need to do some thorough research to know what is needed and how to install it. YouTube and Google have huge amounts of info on this. I've already spent a lot of time and will spend more before I get down to it. It's not a difficult process but it is quite involved. I suggest you go to the Crutchfield website first, add your vehicle, and read all you can there. The site has a wealth of information, they show you what you'll need to get and how to do it, and they can and do make custom harnesses to make it all plug and play. Some folks have said that their prices are high, but I think you kind of have to research that for yourself before you decide. I think that, while that may be true to some extent, it may also turn out better overall by saving headaches in completing the process. Of course, it all depends on how extensive an upgrade you want to do.

Anyway, I will be doing a full thread, with pictures and arrows, on my install when I do it in a couple of months. Good luck with whatever path you choose, and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. @kloker I will be interested to see how your system works out, but for now may just go for a bluetooth plug in because most of my music is MP3 format, and I have a tom tom that I can update for navigation....and that's within my technical capabilities

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,661 Posts
I hear you on the Bluetooth. I have a Blue Parrot headset right now that works just fine and is bulletproof with the best sound and noise reduction mic available on Bluetooth. It is by far the number one headset used by truck drivers. Been using them for years. Once you try one you cannot own any other Bluetooth headset. It'll do until I get the new setup in. I also use it in the house.

Right now I have an HTC Ten android phone with 256Gb of room on it and it's loaded up with music. I plug it in to the AUX jack, works fine. My main complaints are that the stock system sound is muddy, indistinct, bland, flat. Turn it up, you just get the same thing only louder. Not very inspiring. And that I want a touchscreen where I can scroll navigate my music, rather than having to push navigate through folder trees to find what I want next, which is highly distracting when you are driving. I use DoubleTwist on the phone and love it. Syncs to iTunes on my computer and auto-converts files in transit to phone. There's a component of it that installs on the computer, and more go on the phone. It is free and works great. I just want a head unit with a larger screen than the phone. Hopefully I can find a way to make the DoubleTwist app work with the head unit, though I may have to use mirroring to make that happen. We'll see. I just want what I want, eh? Add to that good clear solid sound, and I'll be happy.

If I can't get the music navigation to work that way my second idea is to use a thumb drive and figure out a way to have scrolling navigation that way somehow. Something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.