Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i'm new to your site,,my ex has a2007 crv ,the center part of the cluster, where the gas and digital readouts are, first started blinking when driving, today they blacked out on her completly, she's heading to honda service at 3pm today.. I need to know how long about will it take to fix this problem and what the problem may be, . She works, i'm disabled ,if i have to i can switch cars with her and bring her crv in for service on monday if it will take awhile to fix.

Thanks all sincerely sean

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Welcome to the CRVOC Sean.

The only people that will be able to give you your answers are the service department when you bring it in. The problem could be something as simple as a fuse or it could be a whole guage cluster replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:)Hey thanks for your respons, It's at the Dealer now, will let you know what it was ,, thanks again for your response Sincerly Sean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our 2007 CR-V's display in the center of the instrument cluster exhibited flickering when temperatures rose. I noticed this winter after a bone-chilling evening that the display did not flicker any more, but as soon as temperatures started to rise, the flickering started again. So that led me to think that it could be a poor solder joint on the instrument cluster's circuit board.

This past weekend, I removed the instrument cluster from our CR-V (remove bezel, three Phillips screws, and disconnect wiring connector on back) and removed the cluster's back cover. In there, at both the top and bottom of the center display are 6 or 7 pins protruding through the cluster's circuit board. Using a jeweler's loop so I could see, I inspected the solder joints for the pins for that center display. Sure enough, one pin had a broken solder joint.

I used a hot pencil type soldering iron and touched each pin, heating the solder around the base of each pin. The one pin mentioned above, seemed like it needed a bit more solder, so I touched the pin to add a very slight amount more solder.

I snapped the cover back on and reinstalled the cluster back into the dash. It works, without any flickering now! This morning I drove the CR-V about 100 miles to another city and it was SOLID, with absolutely no flickering. BTW - today's exterior high temperature got to 75ºF and I'm sure it got warmer inside the vehicle after sitting outside for a few hours. Test drove it again and still solid. This fix cost me nothing but the aggravation of having a flickering, annoying display for several months. I wanted to try fixing it myself, and if it didn't resolve the flickering issue, I'd send it off to the New Jersey place for them to repair. (I suspect that they are charging about $125 to do exactly what I did, but it cost me only my own effort and about an hour's time.) I'm thrilled!

My only goal was to get my flickering display fixed. Should you have other display or instrument cluster issues, I may not be much help to you.

Gary P

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Gary P. I was going to try what you did. I have a 2007 CR-V EX with the same garbled instrument cluster issue. The only thing i could consistently read was the miles until empty. I dealt with it for years and I finally was going to send it out for repair based on a lot of this forums feedback. I used a youtube video to remove the instrument cluster (super easy), disconnected the cable to remove it. Ordered a soldering iron. For giggles i tried reseating the rear cable and that was the fix. The cable was just a little lose. Simple fix i wish i tried years ago. Hope anyone else tries the same before spending money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you all and especially Gary P and also G3Ken from the Instrument Cluster Removal thread.

I have a 2008 CRV that has been experiencing flickering in the LED portion of the instrument cluster. I removed it and inspected the pins that Gary P described and did see one pin that looked a bit different in the solder joint. I touched it with a soldering iron to refresh the joint and then put it all back together.

Now there is no flicker so it seems good. Time will tell if that continues. I cannot say for sure if the difference was made by unplugging the panel and plugging it back in or by the resoldering but I believe it was the solder. This is much better than spending the money for replace/repair.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you all and especially Gary P and also G3Ken from the Instrument Cluster Removal thread.

I have a 2008 CRV that has been experiencing flickering in the LED portion of the instrument cluster. I removed it and inspected the pins that Gary P described and did see one pin that looked a bit different in the solder joint. I touched it with a soldering iron to refresh the joint and then put it all back together.

Now there is no flicker so it seems good. Time will tell if that continues. I cannot say for sure if the difference was made by unplugging the panel and plugging it back in or by the resoldering but I believe it was the solder. This is much better than spending the money for replace/repair.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
My ‘07 EX-L’s center display has been working flawlessly since my repair. It’s been exposed to below freezing and summer temperatures since and there has been no flickering since.

I hope that your repair to your ‘08 gives you the same results. Sometimes I kick myself for not doing this repair sooner!

Let us know how it holds up...

Gary P

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Gary P and others for the detailed fix breakdown. I've just recently had the same issue on our 2007 CRV and first tried unplugging and plugging in the cluster panel in the hopes it was just loose but wasn't so lucky. I removed the cluster and back cover plate and inspected the seven pins at both the top and bottom of the circuit board and seemed everything looked fine other then some discoloration. I used my pencil sodering iron and touched the soder at the base of each pin to ensure proper connection, put the back cover back on and re-connected the cluster back in. Turned on vehicle and everything is working just fine now! It took maybe 30mins to complete from start to finish and is a very easy diy.
Thanks again to all for their input and experiences. much appreciated!

James

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Gary P and others for the detailed fix breakdown. I've just recently had the same issue on our 2007 CRV and first tried unplugging and plugging in the cluster panel in the hopes it was just loose but wasn't so lucky. I removed the cluster and back cover plate and inspected the seven pins at both the top and bottom of the circuit board and seemed everything looked fine other then some discoloration. I used my pencil sodering iron and touched the soder at the base of each pin to ensure proper connection, put the back cover back on and re-connected the cluster back in. Turned on vehicle and everything is working just fine now! It took maybe 30mins to complete from start to finish and is a very easy diy.
Thanks again to all for their input and experiences. much appreciated!

James
James,

I glad you resolved the flickering display by following my instructions. Great deal!

My 2007 CR-V cluster has been displaying perfectly since I performed this fix.

Don’t you feel pleased with yourself after getting it to work with out having to spend a small fortune?

Give it a couple months, then do a follow up post telling us if it’s still flawless.

Incidentally, I did a similar fix on an instrument cluster of a friend’s 1884 Pontiac Grand Prix. He couldn’t tell how much fuel was in its tank, but now it works! There were other things on the cluster that came alive again.

Gary

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Bad solder joints are apparently what cause Honda's Hands-Free Link Bluetooth units to fail, and cause a parasitic battery drain. Due to the circuitry, touching them up with an iron is impossible, but I've read of a few who took the circuit board and baked it in the oven at a low temperature, which reflowed the solder and cured the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts