Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 LX 4wd. I first noticed one or both rear door locks randomly trying to lock or unlock or both while driving the car (way above the speed where the locks all lock themselves automatically) and doing it multiple times. Today after locking the car with the key fob I happened to check all the doors and found the drivers side rear door was still unlocked (others were still locked). On further investigation I found I could push (although I had to push pretty hard) the lock (the thing with the orange on it) and successfully lock that door, but as soon as I took my finger off the lock it would slowly move to the unlocked position. Luckily I found something to cram into the cutout for the lock and handle against the lock that seems to be keeping it locked (car is in a hotel parking lot right now). My research indicates this might be the door lock actuator? But it feels like a mechanical problem when I push on it as described above. Just curious what folks think and looking for a recommendation on where to buy the door lock actuator if that is what I need to replace. (Also I saw Honda issued an extended warranty for this issue for 100K or 2015, I’m past both of those). Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Well, that sounds like a fun time. I was not aware of the extended warranty thing, and my '07 is still within the mileage limit, so I will have to check that out. Thanks for that info. When I ran a search for this stuff, all I got back was the airbag recall. Hmmm. Anyway, on mine the front passenger door lock actuator re-locks immediately as soon as unlocked. Just that one. So I got a new one, from hondaparts now.com, where I've so far gotten all my parts - they generally have the best price and availability, for $65. However, before you do that, the factory service manual has an extensive troubleshooting/testing section on this, and you should go through that first to determine what is needed. I got my factory manual off eBay for $45 or so on CD. Worth its weight. It's a fairly complicated system and there are a bunch of parts to it, so there are any number of combinations of possibilities as to what is causing the problem. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Definitely sounds like the door lock actuator. I had 3 replaced under the extended warranty and did the final one (right front) myself a few months back. the replacement actuator can be purchased as an assembly which makes replacement easy. I bought the last one from Honda and paid around $65. Came with the door opening rod attached. I had purchased one around a year ago but could not find it until this past weekend. The joy of moving. Anyone need one RT Front door actuator 2007-2009 CRV? $40. But I digress. I would not bother with trying to repair the old one. It can be done but you have to source the internals (plastic gears/ motor).

The process to change it out is relatively easy. Get your self a #3 Phillips bit and an impact driver to loosen and remove the three screws that hold the actuator to the door. I used my Ryobi Impact driver and it worked great. Door panel comes off easily and the rest is just disconnecting cables and the door lever. There are quite a few write-ups here that cover the process. For a first time, give yourself an hour to do the repair. Skill level, 2.5 out of 5 stars for mechanical ability required.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
You will need a #3 JIS bit (not a Phillips bit, which is not a proper fit) so you don't strip out the hex in the screws. Applying pressure on the bit with the ratchet is the best way to remove these screws; a hammer-driven impact driver will only push in and distort the metal on the door frame. Don't ask how I know this. 🙄

·
Registered
16 Posts
I posted something similar to this several months ago; at the time, my passenger rear door would lock when I hit LOCK (either on the driver armrest, or on the keyfob), but then if I was quiet I might hear about 2 seconds later, the Right Rear door lock mechanism try to slowly eaaaase itself to unlocked; very weird. I went thru taking off the door panel, check operation of the actuator, all seemed OK. Put it back together, trouble seemed to go away. The back in December the front passenger door would do it, and actually unlock!! I could stand at the passenger side door, hit LOCK on the fob, watch the indicator move to the locked position, close the door and then try the handle - UNLOCKED!! After a couple of weeks of wrestling with it, and having to manually lock my passenger door before closing it, the problem seemed to go away. Strange.

With my electronics background, it's like the solenoid has some amount of voltage on it in the unlock direction, sometime enough that it's overcome by the LOCK command, sometimes, enough that it over-rides the LOCK command. Very weird. When I get a chance during these COVID times I'll open up my doors again and check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts