Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the past several months when I place my 2007 CR-V in reverse I hear a very loud rumbling/vibrating noise from the back of the car. It happens everyday and I guess I just got use to it. I didn't think it was a big deal because all the while I thought it was from my speakers (It sounds like the bass on my radio is up too loud). My concern at this point is that it isn't from my radio because I turned my radio off and it still made the noise. In the past it only made the noise while in reverse (hot or cold weather) but it is now making a similar noise (not as loud) when I turn. I looked at the TSB regarding the rear differential but it indicated that it occurs during cold weather and my problem has occurred in both hot and cold weather. Has anyone else had a similar problem. BTW: I'm planning to take my car to the dealership tomorrow

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Bad dual pump fluid

It would help members give you better advice if you put your vehicle type in your user profile and also state "when -mileage" that you first noticed a problem

I'm going to "assume" that you have the AWD model; I would tell the dealership that you are familiar with problems associated with the rear differential. What is needed is for them to change out your DPF and the problem will "probably" go away...at least it did when I had it done at 15,000 miles. The one thing you will see is that your subcode 6 will come up around with your second oil change. This means that the DPF will need changing around every 20k miles or so.

I'm sure it's nothing huge to worry about but don't let things like this go, it's better to take your vehicle in for something simple than to let it work itself into something major.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Over the past several months when I place my 2007 CR-V in reverse I hear a very loud rumbling/vibrating noise from the back of the car. It happens everyday and I guess I just got use to it. I didn't think it was a big deal because all the while I thought it was from my speakers (It sounds like the bass on my radio is up too loud). My concern at this point is that it isn't from my radio because I turned my radio off and it still made the noise. In the past it only made the noise while in reverse (hot or cold weather) but it is now making a similar noise (not as loud) when I turn. I looked at the TSB regarding the rear differential but it indicated that it occurs during cold weather and my problem has occurred in both hot and cold weather. Has anyone else had a similar problem. BTW: I'm planning to take my car to the dealership tomorrow
Welcome to the forum! :)

The simplest thing you can do is the "parking lot test". Simply go to a parking lot, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and drive in tight circles at low speed. If you hear a grinding noise, the rear differential fluid is probably worn out. Take it to the dealer and ask that they change it, under warranty.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The simplest thing you can do is the "parking lot test". Simply go to a parking lot, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and drive in tight circles at low speed. If you hear a grinding noise, the rear differential fluid is probably worn out. Take it to the dealer and ask that they change it, under warranty.
This is not always true with the gen3. Our CRV did not make the dreaded noise when driven in tight circles but only when backing out the drive and onto the street. I tried dozens of circles in each direction and could not duplicate the noise that the driving in reverse would produce. And no, it wasn't anything with the transmission.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Interesting Observation

Badgerland: No noise in a tight circle? First I have heard of that, thanks for the heads up.

Nicole3045: Demanding a warranty repair may be difficult depending on your mileage on the 2007. It appears as though the Maintenance Minder is hitting between 15,000 and 20,000 for the -6 subcode which is to change the rear differential fluid. If your mileage is beyond 20,000 I doubt that you will have any luck. However it doesn't hurt to try.

The other thing to realize is that the rear differential is in the 4WD (or AWD as it is often called). If your V is only 2WD (front wheel drive) then you will not have a rear differential and your problem has to be something else.

There is a technical service bulletin regarding this problem. Click on the site below:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A07-024.PDF

Note that on this TSB it states that normal warranty applies. If you have not had the -6 subcode on the MMI you should be able to claim an warranty repair--but I would expect resistance to that if your mileage is 15,000 or above. Again it doesn't hurt to try. If you are below 15,000 and they give you this "it is not covered by the warranty because the normal interval is 15,000", I would call Honda Corporate and open a case. It really should be a warranty issue until the 6 subcode is displayed on the MMI. There is no published maintenance schedule for the 2007 model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the great information and forum tips - I have an EX-AWD and I have around 26,000 miles. I can't remember how many miles I had when the problem 1st started but I don't think I had my 1st oil change and I haven't seen the -6 subcode.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thanks for all the great information and forum tips - I have an EX-AWD and I have around 26,000 miles. I can't remember how many miles I had when the problem 1st started but I don't think I had my 1st oil change and I haven't seen the -6 subcode.

Knowing your mileage now, you should have most likely had your second oil change by now. Are you following the MMS system to acknowledge these codes for work to be done or are you just doing the XXXX miles type oil change? If you have waited since before your first oil change in hearing this noise until now...the fluid sounds like it most definitely is a problem. I would get to your dealer fast if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing happened to my 2007 CRV with only 10,000 KM (6200 miles) on it. The dealership replaced the rear differential fluid and it has been good since. I guess it is a known problem for CRVs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts