Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Honda CRV 43K We were driving on NJ turnpike - 65-70mph. Suddenly car just slowed down and stopped. Stuck in middle lane with trucks and cars beeping. Husband turned off ignition and tried to restart car several times. After several minutes, he got the car to go. Very scary. We were near Newark Airport. Wondering because of high radar, could this have been a factor. Will take to dealer tomorrow, but they never heard of this. We are original owners.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Be sure and post back what the dealer finds. Could just be a plugged up fuel filter, since it slowed down and then just died, but hopefully they will find the problem.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry I can't be much help, but thank God you guys are ok. I am very familiar with the area and it's nothing short of a miracle we weren't reading about you in the papers today. I too am curious what the dealer finds..might want to search 'stalling out'. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for posting your thoughts. We are so shook up by what happened that if the Honda service cannot come up with an answer, we might want to get rid of this car. I can no longer trust it. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 also stalled two times today

Hi,
I just had a similar problem today with my 2008 CR-V EX - twice. Both times, it was when I was about to exit or enter my parking garage, where I have to aim the garage key fob at the overhead garage door antenna. So, I wonder if the garage key fob is interfering with my ignition key or ignition system somehow. It's a bit funny though that this problem pops up now, and not consistently. Note that this car has been moved several months ago from a hot and humid environment (Texas) to a dry and cooler one (Alberta).

Any ideas? I'm taking it into a dealer just in case.

Thanks. BC

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
bokchoy1
If the garage key fob is attached to the ignition key, it's possible that the ignition switch is wearing or moving.
If it's not, then disregard.

ccsabol,
Sometimes a failing ignition coil will produce similar symptoms. Please post back what the Dealer finds.
Thanks,

Buffalo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This just came in from Honda service to my husband.
Wiring in the car burned out a sensor that caused this incident. Honda had issued a bulletin regarding this. This is all I know, but will post more later. We were never notified about any problem like this or any bulletin.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
This just came in from Honda service to my husband.
Wiring in the car burned out a sensor that caused this incident. Honda had issued a bulletin regarding this. This is all I know, but will post more later. We were never notified about any problem like this or any bulletin.
Happy to hear they found a problem and I hope it will be covered by Honda.
Please let us know the outcome and what sensor, etc, it was.
Thanks,
Buffalo4

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When we get more info, I will post it all. We are not just going to let this slide by. We were in a very life threatening situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I picked up my 2007 CR-V. There had been a bulletin issued in July, 2009 regarding a problem with certain model year CR-Vs.
I tried to link to the pdf, but it was not available. The sensor was described by the service manager as an oxygen sensor. It caused a very serious problem for us on Friday night on the NJ turnpike. They gave me a copy of the bulletin. It is bulletin 08-067, affecting all 2007-2008 CR-V and some 2009 CR-V with certain VIN numbers. (too numerous to mention). You probably could contact Honda and get a copy of the service bulletin. I hope that this is helpful to those of you that were interested in our problem. The problem is fixed, I hope.

08-067 MIL Comes On With DTC P0134, P0135, P0171, or P1157, 2007 & 2008 CR-V, PROBABLE CAUSE: Under-hood temperature causes grease from an under-hood fuse box connector to melt, travel down through the engine wire harness, and drip onto the A/F sensor 4P connector. CORRECTIVE ACTIONL Replace the A/F sensor, and install a subharness kit.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A08-067.PDF

·
Registered
687 Posts
As a future note, I would suggest all drivers practice placing the car in neutral when moving. If you had been in nuetral, you might have been able to roll some distance, put on hazards and force your way over to the shoulder. In gear, engine braking will stop the car pretty fast. Just keep in mind however, that you'll only have 1 good use of the brakes until the vacuum is used up.

I've run out of gas before in a previous car and 3 different motorcycles. With a manual transmission I was able to just put the clutch in, and was able to restart or coast to a safe place to stop. With a automatic, you'll have to use neutral.

Practicing using neutral while moving is a good drill for a whole range of situations involving loss of power or engine failure... and of course the infamous stuck brake pedal. It's easier to engage neutral on some cars than others. the CR-V and Odyssey are very, very easy with the location of the shift lever on the dash and the short, positive action of the lever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My husband did try to put the car in neutral. Since we were on a slight upward incline, it really did not work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts