Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checked the error P0843 and it relates to the 2nd clutch switch. However going on line the commentary is change the switch and if that doesn't work change the fluid. The cheapest switch I can find on Amazon is ~$40. To do a complete change of fluid (3 refills) will cost $95 just for the fluid. Is there enough experience out there to determine which is the more common problem, the switch or the fluid? There's 100,000 miles on the car and I've had the fluid changed once. The other observation is the transmission still shifts smoothly. Thanks for any help you can give with this problem.

·
2,805 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The fluid change is a maintenance item anyway, so I'd do that first. If that doesn't solve it, then I'd replace the switch.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The code only means the ECU isn't seeing the expected value from that switch. It does not necessarily mean the switch is bad. The wiring and harness(es) between the ECU and transmission need to be checked before throwing money at a new switch. (This is where dealer shops have the advantage--with Honda's data system, they can tell the ECU to activate the switch, in order to test the switch and the wiring leading to it.)

However, I see that this is a somewhat common error code in Hondas.

Also, there's another thread:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The code only means the ECU isn't seeing the expected value from that switch. It does not necessarily mean the switch is bad. The wiring and harness(es) between the ECU and transmission need to be checked before throwing money at a new switch. (This is where dealer shops have the advantage--with Honda's data system, they can tell the ECU to activate the switch, in order to test the switch and the wiring leading to it.)

However, I see that this is a somewhat common error code in Hondas.

Also, there's another thread:

Thank you Wildcat for your reply. This why I asked about this problem, was it common or not and what was the most likely source causing it. You're right I don't want to buy another switch, shops want to charge~$40 for it!
Checking through different sources concerning P0843, some people have rough shifting associated with this, I don't.
Now you've given me a clue with the ECU, by the way where is it located?. Since I don't have the Honda data system, if I were to pull the cable and switch and try to test it manually, how would I go about that? Is the switch normally closed (resistance is ~0 ohms)? and if I put pressure (value psi) on it, what should I read in resistance? Or does the ECU put a (? VDC) voltage on the switch to activate it? With this kind of information I could verify the integrity of the switch, otherwise it seems checking will be hit or miss. Again thanks for getting me somewhere down this path!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts