Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - searched the Owners Manual and did not see a reference to the timing chain....timing "control", yes, but not timing chain.

Does anyone know what Honda document would have this information, including the recommended replacement mileage?

I have 145,000 miles but purchased used at 90,000...I have no idea if the timing chain was replaced (doubt it). If the previous owner ad it done at a dealer, would I be able to inquire about whether it's been replaced?

Thanks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
With regular oil changes the timing chain should last the life of the engine, there is no mileage change requirement. Have the valves been adjusted ? That needs to be done if not.

·
Registered
252 Posts
^ What he said. If you cannot determine the maintenance history, you need to assume worst case and at the very least address wear & tear items. None of them need be bank breakers, especially if you can do some of them yourself. I'd get the valves checked because Honda's have a habit of the exhaust valves slowly tightening over time which can cause some real damage (US spec for adj is 100k). Also oil, atf and rear-diff fluid changes. Even coolant because old fluid can lead to water pump wear. At least that gives you a solid baseline going forward. With good PM, Honda's can last a long time, so it's a good investment.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,745 Posts
The ECU (PCM in Honda-speak) monitors the timing between the crankshaft and camshafts. Unless you get a code, don't worry.

The only owners that have reported problems have let oil changes go. If it looks clean under the valve cover (no crusty buildup), you are golden...

·
Everything in Moderation
7,745 Posts
Since I posted in 2015, it has become apparent that running the engine low on oil can accelerate timing chain wear. When you buy used, you can't tell how well previous owners monitored the oil level.

Perhaps @Tigris99 can listen to the vids and comment.

·
Registered
363 Posts
try taking the belt off and run it ,don't run it for more than 20 seconds with belt off ,usually you will get a p0340 with a chain issue,maybe the serp belt tensioner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts