Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
It is pink with black specs mixed in so I think it had a recent fluid drain and fill.
Hmmm. Black specs in the fluid, were they oil drops or physical pieces of something?
Occasionally the transmission feels like it sticks for a second and then goes to the next gear. This happens when I go from a stop to start like at a stop sign or stop light. I am hoping if I do three drain and fills it will smooth that out.
It might. At the least, it shouldn't make it worse. :) But, it seems to be a feature of Honda automatics to have a somewhat harsh shift from first to second. My '07 Accord is like that anyhow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmmm. Black specs in the fluid, were they oil drops or physical pieces of something?

It might. At the least, it shouldn't make it worse. :) But, it seems to be a feature of Honda automatics to have a somewhat harsh shift from first to second. My '07 Accord is like that anyhow.
I put some of the fluid from the dipstick between my finger and thumb and did not feel anything solid. Also, when I wiped the dipstick off the specks looked like they soaked into the towel along with the pink transmission fluid. I was assuming old transmission fluid but.....

Thanks for the heads up on the harsh shift from 1st to 2nd being a normal tendency for Honda automatics. I will keep that in mind if the fluid drain doesn't fix it. Rest of the transmission gears shift smoothly.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Still, the overall consensus on this forum is to use ONLY Honda DW-1, but, like I stated previously, many have had excellent results with using the Valvoline stuff and so have I. Still, I haven't put on over 80k miles on the V stuff.
That once a week (100 miles +-) between drain and fills sounds very good. You might even want to drive another extra 100 miles before the last drain and fill, if the fluid is looking real good.
Replacing that ATF filter with a Honda OEM filter is also a good move. I don't know how hard it is to change that filter, so be sure to google or youtube it for info on how to do it.
Sounds great!!
Best of luck!! :D
Buffalo4

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well the first drain and fill is done.

Interestingly, I drained out a full gallon and had to put a full gallon back in to get it to register where it was supposed to. That may be because my driveway is slightly sloped with the front end of the vehicle being slightly lower than the back end so more came out than would have had it been parked level?.

Buffalo4 - I Took your advice and put it back in slowly. 3 quarts first, then I drove it around the block listening for anything unusual then parked it on level ground before measuring again. It did not register at all on the dipstick so I added another pint and it registered at the bottom of the dipstick so I put the rest of the gallon in, took it for a spin fast enough so it hit all 5 speeds then parked it on level ground and again measured it and it measured exactly where it should right at the top of the Hot range.

Replacing the inline ATF filter is pretty easy. Remove the plastic protection cover at the front of the vehicle and it is right there. Two clamps, take the hoses off, put the new filter on and replace the clamps and plastic protection cover. My guess is the most time consuming part will the removing and putting back on the plastic protection cover.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Well the first drain and fill is done.

Interestingly, I drained out a full gallon and had to put a full gallon back in to get it to register where it was supposed to. That may be because my driveway is slightly sloped with the front end of the vehicle being slightly lower than the back end so more came out than would have had it been parked level?.

Buffalo4 - I Took your advice and put it back in slowly. 3 quarts first, then I drove it around the block listening for anything unusual then parked it on level ground before measuring again. It did not register at all on the dipstick so I added another pint and it registered at the bottom of the dipstick so I put the rest of the gallon in, took it for a spin fast enough so it hit all 5 speeds then parked it on level ground and again measured it and it measured exactly where it should right at the top of the Hot range.

Replacing the inline ATF filter is pretty easy. Remove the plastic protection cover at the front of the vehicle and it is right there. Two clamps, take the hoses off, put the new filter on and replace the clamps and plastic protection cover. My guess is the most time consuming part will the removing and putting back on the plastic protection cover.
I advise to always check the ATF level on the dipstick and make sure it is between the marks and then drive it enough to go through all the gears (including R) and TC lockup and then check it again.
To me, if you check the level on the dipstick and it is good before the drain, put in the same amount that drained out.
Problem is that some always put in the same amt that drained out, even though it may have been way overfilled or below the low mark on the dipstick.
If you still have the old atf fliter, cut it open and see what it looks like.
That could be a great indicator of doing more filter changes sooner or do them a lot later. :)
Buffalo4

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did the second drain, got another gallon out so in two drain fills I got roughly 81% new fluid which is really close to the estimated 3X drain fill at 2.7 qts per drain (2.7 X 3 = 8.1 qts) so I decided not to do a 3rd drain fill unless it gives me some issues. I also added 7.5 ozs of Red Lubeguard. So far seems to be running fine. I can feel it shift at every speed but does not seem to shift as hard from 1st to 2nd as it was before doing the two drain and fills.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Did the second drain, got another gallon out so in two drain fills I got roughly 81% new fluid which is really close to the estimated 3X drain fill at 2.7 qts per drain (2.7 X 3 = 8.1 qts) so I decided not to do a 3rd drain fill unless it gives me some issues. I also added 7.5 ozs of Red Lubeguard. So far seems to be running fine. I can feel it shift at every speed but does not seem to shift as hard from 1st to 2nd as it was before doing the two drain and fills.
Hope it works out well for you.
Here is a formula to actually find out how much of the fluid is new:
Anyway here is the equation for dilution for the ATF. y=% of new fluid remaining, n=number of drains/refills.

y= 1 - 0.58^n.

3.5 qt drain ATF divided by 8.3 qt total volume ATF = 3.5/8.3 = 0.42

Means 42% new ATF = 1-0.58 = 1 – (58/100) = 0.42 = 42% ATF after first drain.
Typing ^ is the fast way to indicate a superscript exponent, without the hassle of using the symbol function. e.g. 3^2 = 9. See the Google machine.

Y = 1 – 0.58^X ; where y = % new ATF and X= number (N) of drains.

2nd drain: y = 1 – 0.58^2 = 1 - (0.58 x 0.58) = 1 - 0.34 = 0.66 = 66% new ATF

Confusing to me, at least, but very accurate, in case you are interested.

Still, it sounds like you have it under control. Big thing about new fluid is fresh additives.
Buffalo4

21 - 27 of 27 Posts