Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Have any of you had issues with power steering on the 2008 CR-V? For the first 36,000 miles I took the car exclusively to the dealer for maintenance. Always a clean report. First time I take it in for an oil change after the warranty expires and I'm told that there is a transmission fluid leak. Seemed odd, so I asked how it could happen. The service person said that it could be due to an accident (haven't had one) or driving over a big rock or something (haven't done that). Also backpedaled when I asked how it magically appeared shortly after the warranty expired. Said that it was probably a seal leaking slightly and not to worry about it. Seemed kind of shifty, so took it to an independent Honda repair shop. They indicated that the problem was 1) more than just a seal leaking, 2) recommended rebuilding the power steering unit, and 3) said that it was remarkably early for this kind of thing to happen to this make and model.

The independent Honda repair shop said that I should see if Honda would cover the repair given the extraordinarily early occurrence of the problem. Seem reasonable? Anyone else have this kind of problem with your CR-V? Recommendations?

Thank you for any feedback!

K

*Little background on my driving - never drive off-road, had last car for 11 years without a single problem aside from recommended repairs, and have not had any accidents.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It seems too early for that failure for sure. I have always wondered about the infamous "pull to the right (left) problems that CRV's have, and specifically how much extra strain that gives the power steering units. As I see it there must be more wear on a unit that is continuously being used to correct the alignment problems. It must be like continuously driving in a circle. I don't know if you have had PTTR (L) or not but I thought it worth mentioning as I have not seen it mentioned before with respect to the wear it can cause. It could be that your car just has one of the (1 in 10,000 just guessing) bad units on it. My 2007 has 158000km on it and I have recently had to add power steering fluid to bring it up to the mark. To me this indicates a leak somewhere because it is a sealed system and power steering fluid does not shrink. I think this is a little early for leaks at almost 100,000 miles.
I would also be suspect of a dealer/tech that reports a leak in the trans. when it is the power steering.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts