Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here and been doing research but didn't find the specific answer I was looking for. Picked up a 2008 EX-L with 159K that looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. No dings, no scratches, leather interior and all panels are perfect, etc. It was literally owned by a little old man and woman since new, run on the highway all it's life, and maintained to the gills by their son who worked as a mechanic at the Honda dealership.

They replaced the A/C compressor almost a year ago and I've noticed that the compressor and fans kick on for 10 seconds then off for 6 seconds, on for 10, off for 6, rinse and repeat. In the cabin you can feel when it kicks off while driving and the air isn't as cold as I think it should be compared to every other vehicle I've owned. I'd rather not spend the money to take it to a shop to have the system checked if I don't have to. I'm not cheap but frugal and do all my maintenance myself on my vehicles, motorcycle, and snowmobile. My neighbor owns a heating and cooling company and has a gauge for the low side that I can check the level and read if the levels aren't in the proper range (high or low) that can cause the quick cycling.

Thoughts on if this is cycling too quickly, if that is normal for the V, or if I'm headed in the right direct? Any input is appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick update. Used my neighbor's gauge and the system was showing low so put in a 12oz can. It's still showing low on his gauge but I don't want to take the chance of overcharging and will see how it works. So far the compressor is not kicking off and on like it was before. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
772 Posts
The fans are working correct when the a/c is turned on. You can buy @ most auto parts store including WalMart, a larger bottle of 134 to charge the system. It comes with it's own gauge to prevent from overcharging as well as too much high side pressure, well worth the average $32.00 or close to it. Check the low as well as the high side fittings where the Schrader valve is for any residue, not uncommon to leak and loose Freon even with the caps on. JMHO and good luck.
David g.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wasn't there a recall on a A/C compressor part for the 08?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From what I can find there wasn't a recall but a TSB or known issue. The previous owner had the compressor changed last year and I don't know if they didn't get it filled quite full enough or if there is a slow leak. A $3.88 12oz can of R134A from Wally World seems to have done the trick for now and I'm leaving it below the range on the gauge because I don't want to overfill. Right now it's at 30PSI and the compressor/fans were not shutting off with cold cold air coming from the vents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fans are working correct when the a/c is turned on. You can buy @ most auto parts store including WalMart, a larger bottle of 134 to charge the system. It comes with it's own gauge to prevent from overcharging as well as too much high side pressure, well worth the average $32.00 or close to it. Check the low as well as the high side fittings where the Schrader valve is for any residue, not uncommon to leak and loose Freon even with the caps on. JMHO and good luck.
David g.
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I can find there wasn't a recall but a TSB or known issue. The previous owner had the compressor changed last year and I don't know if they didn't get it filled quite full enough or if there is a slow leak. A $3.88 12oz can of R134A from Wally World seems to have done the trick for now and I'm leaving it below the range on the gauge because I don't want to overfill. Right now it's at 30PSI and the compressor/fans were not shutting off with cold cold air coming from the vents.

Correction - low side is sitting at 35PSI not 30PSI according to the gauge, which could be slight off of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts