Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! New to the forum... hoping for some re-assurance or guidance or advice.

The alternator has gone out on my 2008 EX 2WD. I watched a youtube video of a 2009 replacement and looks like a VERY extensive replacement procedure... removing the power steering pump, moving lines, removing radiator brackets, etc. Is this true? Did Honda really bury the alternator deep inside the engine bay? Not sure I'm that confident in myself to tear everything down. Anyone have it done at a dealership in the USA and have an idea of what it would cost?

Thank You for the help! Love the forum!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Looking at the service manual, you need to remove the drive belt (pg4-29), the belt tensioner (pg4-31) prior to removing the alternator (pg4-32). It does involve moving the PS pump and reservoir up out of the way for access. Nothing in the manual about having to remove the radiator brackets. On the plus side, it is not as deep down as the AC compressor.... I would give myself 2hrs to do this job. I would also check the belt tensioner and the drive belt for wear. May be a good idea to have them on hand to swap as well.

List price for the alternator from Majestic Honda is 264.37 and add 3hrs labor plus shop fees. If you figure labor is 150/hr, I would guess that you are looking in the 800 range.

To do it yourself, the Majestic price is 182.42 for the alternator plus your time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Looking at the service manual, you need to remove the drive belt (pg4-29), the belt tensioner (pg4-31) prior to removing the alternator (pg4-32). It does involve moving the PS pump and reservoir up out of the way for access. Nothing in the manual about having to remove the radiator brackets. On the plus side, it is not as deep down as the AC compressor.... I would give myself 2hrs to do this job. I would also check the belt tensioner and the drive belt for wear. May be a good idea to have them on hand to swap as well.

List price for the alternator from Majestic Honda is 264.37 and add 3hrs labor plus shop fees. If you figure labor is 150/hr, I would guess that you are looking in the 800 range.

To do it yourself, the Majestic price is 182.42 for the alternator plus your time.

·
Super Moderator
3,276 Posts
May be a core charge on that alternator.
Alternatively (!) have yours rebuilt.
Rock auto has several brands listed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! I guess I need to start by taking it in to the dealership and my mechanic and get some quotes. Then see how I feel about doing it myself. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts