Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I apologize in advance if I ask anything that's been answered already, but I have a 2008 CR-V EX-L, and it doesn't have the navigation or backup camera. I was looking at possibly upgrading my car to have navigation, but I had a few questions first:

1. How can I tell if my car is or is not already wired for a navigation unit?

2. What do I need to make the upgrade? Is it just the head unit, or is there a changer that goes under the passenger seat? (I noticed there's a black empty box looking thing there that doesn't serve a purpose)

I am looking to ideally just plug it in and go, but I figured since I don't know very much about the car, I'd come to the one place that does! Any information and suggestions are welcome!

Thank you for your help guys!

·
Registered
212 Posts
You will need to install an aftermarket Navigation unit, and is a bit more than "plug and go". Search the forums for replacing the radio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The black box thing under the seat is the factory amp for EX-L's upgraded audio system. If you buy an aftermarket navigation head unit there are adapter harnesses that plugs right into the factory harness, the other end need to be spliced and wired to the head unit according to its installation instruction. If you've never done this before I'd suggest bring it in somewhere, there are also people operate out of their garages on CL that you can find to do this for about $100.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It depends on your budget and what you would like as the final product.
I would guess that the least expensive way to go for a nav system is one of the "Car Play" head units. Pioneer and Alpine both offer after market head units that have Car Play soft ware...do you have an iphone? if not another direction is needed...
Car Play works of the iphone system and uses imaps for the nav system...it works pretty good...not as good as Google maps but it does work ok.

It does not cost a bundle either. I just had installed an Alpine iLX-007 Car Play head unit in my '12 V LX and the unit was just over $500.00...adding the wiring kits, harnesses, labor the total was just under $900.00.
A decent head unit with nav will cost that much...perhaps less but I was not really checking on units of that type when doing my "shopping"...plus the wiring, etc. costing a fair bit more.

You can add a back up camera when you have the funds...they are not terribly expensive depending on the features you "must" have...the more features the more money...

Any of the quality online shops, Crutchfield, etc., will show you what fits, what wiring/harnesses, etc. you will need and how much it will all set you back.

One good thing is the stuff lasts pretty much forever...or until you get sick of it and want to change it for "better" stuff. So whatever you spend is money well spent.

Good luck and keep us informed....

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I thought if it was an EX-L it was wired for it?

One way or the other the factory HU is going to cost you much more than an Alpine that is actually better, unless you can get a used HU. There are three online retailers that have very good prices, much better than your local dealer. Crutchfield, Sonic electronix, and Woofers etc all have great prices. Best thing to do is buy from them and get a local to install it, even better if you can do it yourself. I have installed them since I was 16, many years ago! I would bet there are tons of videos on you tube that would help you greatly.

You know whats crazy, I just took my $1,200.00 factory HU with back up camera and Nav out and replaced it with a $200.00 Pioneer! Why, because the Pioneer has RCA outs, it can handle 3 amplifiers or up to a single 6 channel amp and sounds so much better! I will say the Honda HU is not that bad and I was very close to purchasing a converter to get the rca outs. I just have no use at all for nav or back up camera. I have got built in NAV, I know every road in the Carolinas!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My daughter has a 2008 EX-L with the mid level stereo system (minus the XM button).
I'd like to upgrade it with oem navigation.
What year Navi units are compatible? 07 to 09?
Are additional modules required? If so, what are they?
Did any year Accords use the exact same Navi head unit?
Hoping to find a good used navi head unit (and ancillaries if required) off of a wrecked CRV.

This is the front of het current head unit.
Note that it has an AUX button instead of an XM button.

23770209_10154939710196674_1172526810_o.jpg

·
Registered
212 Posts
You will get much better navigation if you go with an aftermarket setup. If you get a CarPlay/Android Auto capable unit, you can have Google Maps and Waze on the car screen and won’t need navigation built in the head unit. You also end up with hands free phone, which the OEM version is not capable of.

If you are fixed on OEM, you can find a diagram of parts involved with the OEM navigation system here on the Honda eStore:

https://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/view-honda-parts-catalog-detail.asp?m=2008-cr-v-5-ex-l-2wd-nav-5at&sn=&b=B++1120&dl=

You need the navigation unit, GPS antenna, trim bezel, and maybe the brackets. Don’t know if it will miss the steering wheel controls. There are other things I am probably missing.

The 2018 navigation DVD is $150 and can be purchased here:

https://hondanavi.navigation.com/web/WFS/Shop-HondaNA-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewHomepage-Start

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I looked into doing this with my '07 EXL non-Nav, and the unit I have is the same as the one pictured above. I figured I'd need to scrounge up the head unit off eBay, plus the amp, then get the OEM GPS dongle, back-up camera, under-seat subwoofer, in-console CD changer, bluetooth mike and dongle, and XM unit, probably from a wrecked car. Plus the additional steering wheel control module for the Bluetooth and Nav talk functions, and an update CD for the Nav software. In the end it would be prohibitively expensive and complicated and not really worth it, as there are aftermarket setups that have better sound, better and more modern features and function, and for less money.

OEM hardware from models through the 2011 would work (you will need to go up to at least an '09 unit to get Bluetooth), but good luck finding all this without spending a small fortune, unless you are lucky enough to find a local wrecking yard that has all of it in one car and will make you a deal. The thing about that is, most of them remove the head units when the car comes in so that they can keep them indoors out of the weather, and the rest sits out there and you'd probably have to pull those parts yourself. Don't forget to pet the snakes.

I've decided for now I will upgrade my OEM speakers to some much better ones and see how that goes. Then I may go with a Kenwood touchscreen head unit and a modest amp and an under-seat small powered sub. They will work with the steering wheel controls you have, and can accommodate back-up cameras , amps, subs, XM, USB hard drives, Bluetooth, etc. and whatnot, more things than the OEM unit can, and work with iphones or android ones. The possibilities are endless and the prices are quite variable, from mild to wild. I don't need to blow the neighbors away, I just want better-than-stock sound quality and functions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts