Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have searched around in the forums but not finding a thread that really answers my question.

I have a 2008 CRV and the moon roof is in good shape; I would like to keep it that way.
Is there any preferred grease, oil or spray you can put on the gaskets to keep them supple and extend their life?
I have used silicone grease on rubber parts similar to this before with great success but I have read silicone grease is not always best for certain applications.
This is the first time I've ever owned a vehicle with a moon roof so I'm looking to you guys for advice.

Also as a side note, what is best to lubricate the moon roof tracks? I hear WD-40 is good to clean them out but not the best for keeping them lubricated long term. What is in the tracks now seems to be applied very light, slightly tacky and mostly clear in appearance.

Any ideas what Honda uses from the factory?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Any rubber-safe silicone grease would work for the seals. Honda's Shin-Etsu grease is one, which you can get at your dealer.

I would not use lube of any kind on the tracks if there is no need. It will attract dirt & dust.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any rubber-safe silicone grease would work for the seals. Honda's Shin-Etsu grease is one, which you can get at your dealer.

I would not use lube of any kind on the tracks if there is no need. It will attract dirt & dust.
Ahh yes thank you. I'll see if I'm able to pick some of this up at some point. Thanks for the information and stay safe during this pandemic.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,463 Posts
If you wax your paintwork regularly with a synthetic wax (such as Turtle Wax ICE or TW Seal N Shine) you will protect the rubber gasket. The moonroof gasket on our 14 year old '06 is holding up quite well.

I've never felt the need to clean the sunroof mechanism, but we DO keep it closed when parked. This prevents dirt & pollen etc from entering the bits and pieces.

I DO open the roof panel to look inside, about once a year... :p

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Speaking of moonroof, also check the drains to see that they are not plugged. Run some weed-whacker line backwards up from the outlets, somewhere in each wheel well, I think.

I guess you could try pouring water down them first, if some dribbles out, that drain is fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you wax your paintwork regularly with a synthetic wax (such as Turtle Wax ICE or TW Seal N Shine) you will protect the rubber gasket. The moonroof gasket on our 14 year old '06 is holding up quite well.

I've never felt the need to clean the sunroof mechanism, but we DO keep it closed when parked. This prevents dirt & pollen etc from entering the bits and pieces.

I DO open the roof panel to look inside, about once a year... :p
I havent started hand waxing yet. I still have to address those weird blobs that are all over my hood that I mentioned in my other post. Once I get those taken care of, I will definitely be looking for a nice car wax. Thanks for the tips though I will keep all of these suggestions in mind for sure. (y)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speaking of moonroof, also check the drains to see that they are not plugged. Run some weed-whacker line backwards up from the outlets, somewhere in each wheel well, I think.

I guess you could try pouring water down them first, if some dribbles out, that drain is fine.
Ahh, thanks. I didn't know where exactly they were draining out at. I have a dirt driveway that is very thirsty. Even during severe thunderstorms my driveway looks nearly bone dry in about an hour. However, like you mentioned above, I did pour a few small cups of water in the drain holes and I get a nice sucking / slurping sound and it drains right out. I'll check those wheel wells and fish some wire or something through there as part of a preventative maintenance measure. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts