Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out if I'm off my rocker or have a real problem.

Like the title says, 2008 CR-V; have not used the CD or AUX Input of the radio for several years, and tried to use the AUX IN the other day. Didn't work.

I'm thinking I remember that when I plug a proper sized Tip-Ring-Sleeve audio cable into the AUX IN jack, connected to say my phone, the radio will somehow sense presence and switch to the AUX Input.

Now, it doesn't do that.

Am I off base? Remembering wrong/wishful thinking?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I took a quick look at the 2008 Owners Manual, and on Page 217 it says:

Your vehicle has the auxiliary input jack on the front panel, on the center table, or in the console compartment, depending on models. The system will accept auxiliary input from standard audio accessories.

When a compatible audio unit is connected to the jack, press the AUX button to select it.
So after connecting your device did you push the AUX button on the headunit?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Trying to figure out if I'm off my rocker or have a real problem.

Like the title says, 2008 CR-V; have not used the CD or AUX Input of the radio for several years, and tried to use the AUX IN the other day. Didn't work.

I'm thinking I remember that when I plug a proper sized Tip-Ring-Sleeve audio cable into the AUX IN jack, connected to say my phone, the radio will somehow sense presence and switch to the AUX Input.

Now, it doesn't do that.

Am I off base? Remembering wrong/wishful thinking?

Thanks!
Hello,

This is how the input works.

The audio unit on terminal B15, LT BLU, places a reference voltage which ends up at the #1 terminal of the Auxiliary Jack Assembly.

When you insert a 3.5mm mini jack in the Auxiliary Jack Assembly port, a small switch built into the assembly CLOSES which now connects terminal #1 to terminal #2 of the Auxiliary Jack Assembly. Terminal #2 is a GROUND wire coming from the audio unit B5, PNK terminal.

When terminal #1 becomes grounded, the reference voltage that was placed on it by the audio units now drops to 0v. The audio unit detects this drop in voltage and switches the audio unit input over to AUX. It appears this is not happening.

A basic, unsophisticated test you can perform that won't need any specialized equipment is to disconnect the Auxiliary Jack Assembly, and jump terminals #1 & #2 with a small wire or paper clip. If the audio unit switches to AUX, then you have a bad Auxiliary Jack Assembly.

If the audio unit does not switch over to AUX, then jump terminals B15 and B5 at the audio unit. If the audio unit now switches to AUX, you have an open on one of the wires between the Auxiliary Jack Assembly and the audio unit.

This should be enough to get you going in the right direction. We can get more granular once you have the results from this test.

Text Line Parallel Design Font

Text Font Line Number Parallel

Cheers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm finally back with my investigation.

1st, my wiring to the Aux Jack assembly has different colors;

Pins:
1) Blue/Slate - Aux Det - 4.8 VDC on it, referenced to:
2) Green - Aux Gnd -
3) Red - Aux Signal Gnd
4) Wht/ - Aux Left Ch.
5) BK/Slate - Aux Right Ch.

shorting pins 1 & 2 does force the radio to AUX mode, opening that short returns it to radio operation (didn't have a CD with me to check if that works. Oh, well. )

Putting a Tip-Ring-Sleeve Aux plug into the jack does nothing.

So, now to find the p/n & order one! Yeee-Haww!!

Thanks for your help, BigMo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts