Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a trick to read the SRS code for the Airbag light without an OBD scanner? Or, as nothing has really happened to the car, should I try and reset the light and see if the fault returns? If so, what's the correct method for doing so? I'm going to get it in to the mech if it recurs again, but I've read a lot of people suggesting that this is most commonly a seatbelt switch fault, so I'd like to see if it's worth trying to pull apart some pieces and try to spray things down with contact cleaner in the buckle release mechanism.

For all the obvious parts, just to be clear: there's been no impact to the car, it's had nothing happen to it, and I've never had the light on previously. Takata recall was completed for both driver and passenger airbags as well.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Our Civic did this a couple of years ago. On that car, I was able to find out how to start the self-test to read the codes from the blinking SRS light, and it did turn out to be the seat belt switch inside the buckle. I have not yet cleaned it up but will give it a try once I finish the engine work on it.

This might have been what I did on the Civic:

https://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=636707

The 3rd gen CR-V might be the same or similar. (I'm hoping someone here can confirm it.)

There are code readers which can read Honda's ABS and SRS codes, but they are not inexpensive. Innova's 3150f (and other models) can read these codes ($150-ish?), plus the newer Bluedriver (which uses a reader and your smartphone or tablet) can now read the extended Honda ABS/SRS codes as well ($99, if I'm not mistaken). The generic ELM327 readers only know basic OBD2 codes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts