Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has 61k miles, maintained well. The car felt a little sluggish starting yesterday morning. The weather had turned colder that morning to below 60 degrees for the first time in a long time. It did start, I made it to my destination. Two hours later the car would not start so I needed a jump. The car started fine later that day and the following morning. But 10 hours later again, it would not start and needed a jump. It also died on me on a hot summer day a few months ago.

The battery is the one sold at Advance Auto Parts and I bought it 3 1/2 years ago. I took it over there where they did a battery test. They said the battery and alternator are fine.

So now I"m wondering what the problem could be if it's not the battery. I don't think it's the started since the car successfully starts when jumped (is this assumption true?).

It doesn't feel purely like a battery issue. Or could it be it? Can a car phone charger left plugged into the outlet be the cause? I notice the light on phone charger doesn't light up when the key is not in the ignition.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Batteries pass test all the time and are still bad. It sounds like a bad battery to me.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Can you take it to another garage and get a second opinion on the life of the battery? Do you have a mechanic that can look at it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, even at the Honda dealer where I get the oil changed as part of their multi point check they show the battery as being good. The last oil change was around July.

And for the battery to go after just 3 1/2 years and maybe 20k miles - this isn't quite normal right?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
3 1/2 years is not bad for a battery. My truck gets 4 years, my Kia Optima lasted about 4 years and I only got one year out of a Walmart battery. I suspect it is a bad battery. The sluggishness starting was a warning.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did they do a load test on the battery or just check the voltage? If it didn't start two hours later I would suspect the alternator not charging, or even just bad cable connections. Depending on the quality of the battery, 3 1/2 years could be all its rated for. I hate electrical issues, so many things it could be especially with all the little things constantly drawing small voltages. Replacing the battery is probably the best place to start. Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Battery. You'll change it either way. but seriously, starting by jumping, says starter is good.

they're correct, 3.5 years is good already. don't expect a battery that drained to charge with your alternator and hold it even with a 2 hour trip.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Something is draining your battery (parasitic drain) or the battery is going bad or the bat cable connections are not clean and snug (fairly tight) or the alternator is not doing its job.
When jumpering the vehicle, this bypasses any poor connection of the battery cables to the battery posts.
If the starter sounds strong when doing this, it basically means that the battery in not supplying enough power to the starter either because it is weak or the connections between the bat cable connectors and the bat posts are not good.
When you quit driving for the day, unhook the neg bat cable until the next day when you go to start it. If it now cranks strong, you may have a good parasitic drain. Look up on how to trace that down.
Have you checked the fluid level in the battery? If one cell is low, it can cause the battery to be very weak and most likely do damage to the battery. If you add water, make SURE it is distilled water.

Buffalo4

1 - 10 of 10 Posts