Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am posting this up for my Mother, who has a 2008 CRV, 2wd AT with around 90k miles. The fuel mileage on the screen in the gauge panel says she is getting anywhere from 13-16 mpg driving around the city. How accurate is that number on the screen?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add that the tires are relatively new, properly inflated, and the car had a full fuel system cleaning at a reputable shop 5k miles ago. The shop also cannot figure out why the gas mileage is as bad as it is as there are no obvious problems with the vehicle. It runs great other than the fuel mileage

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Does she feel she is always putting gas in the car, or is the concern just that gauge? City driving is always worse than Highway mileage. It could depend on short trips, weather, lots of stop & go traffic, heavy foot, hills, etc.....

It will be better than a pickup truck, worse than a compact car!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The onboard mileage read out usually isn't very accurate. Do the calculations by hand or use the fuelly app.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,729 Posts
City driving is a killer...so are extended periods of idling.

Does she warm the car up before driving? (That's not the best way to warm the engine, of course, but it IS more comfy to get into a warm car than a cold one.)

The best way to see if the poor mileage is caused by owner use Vs. a malfunction in the car is to:

1. Fill up tank to auto-shutoff, note mileage

2. Go for a drive (minimum 90 minutes/100 miles, highway or suburban driving is OK, but NOT stop and go).

3. Refill the tank to auto-shutoff at the end of the drive, divide miles driven by gallons used.

Post up the results here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts