Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 crv LX..and I'll jump straight to the problems. When we sit idle at a red light, seems like the car is loosing power, electrical power to be more precise. The radio restarts, headlights turn off then back on. Sometimes the flicker. It happens mostly when we have air flow blow to the windows and the ac compressor kicks on, and rpms go to around 500 then back to 800ish at idle. It happens more often on colder days around 30-40 degrees but also it happened twice during last summer.

Now I did change the battery from oem last year in June, I'm hoping it's a weak battery, I still have warranty on it so that could be easy swap. Or maybe it's not charging? But before jumping to buying parts to look for a fix I wanted to drop by, maybe someone else has this. Help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I think places like WalMart will check your battery for free.
You need to check the voltage on the battery in the morning before you start it and see what it reads. It should be 12.4v or higher.
With the engine running it should be around 13.5-14 volts.
Check your battery cable connections for cleanliness and snugness. Also check your two main grounding wires.
One from the negative post on the battery connector to the frame and the other from the frame to the engine.
You also need to research why the rpm goes down so much when the ac is on.
Buffalo4

·
Everything in Moderation
7,745 Posts
First, check your battery connections.

Many replacement batteries have terminals that are too small for the Honda clamps. So even with the clamps bolted tight, you could turn the battery terminals.

The solution is to fit shims to the terminals. You can find these at autoparts stores.

http://tinyurl.com/nzws66k

I thought my terminals were tight when I changed the battery, but months later they would turn!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checking battery connections was my first step, I thought at first it was that. Also seems like the RPM drop when AC cycles is normal because of the load. But I will take my meter out and see what the battery sits at. I remember I installed the battery that was a little over the minimum crank amps requiered for the 08 CRV. I figured since our winters are not really winters here in WA, no need for the maximum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts