Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...I love my 2017 CRV EX and our daughter just got her license and we are considering getting her one as well. We live in Buffalo, NY so we really want to go AWD...I know there is debate on that. But we found a 2008 EX with 113K miles for $ 8,700. This one just came off trade on Saturday so the dealer is still going through it. But based on my research for our area it seems like a good choice. I had them confirm that the AC Clutch assembly was fixed in 2014 with the new parts that Honda provided. Our daughter is 5' 1" tall as well so we are hoping this model CRV is good for shorter drivers.

I guess I am really old school and I need a sanity check here. But I just can get my head around paying $ 8700 for a car with 113K miles on it. I know these things are reliable but that seems pretty high.

I know there are likely tons of threads on this but I was just wondering what others think of #1) The price of $ 8700 and #2) How do you like your 2008 CRV EX. ?

I did find some EXL's 200 miles away from us for about the same price so I will likely try to negotiate down but these things are selling like crazy around here.

Thanks for any input...Pull me back from the cliff!
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I did some searching on used car sites and on Edmunds and the $8700 isn't unreasonable for that number of miles, if the CR-V is in good condition.

I found several 2008 CR-Vs with close to 200,000 miles that were in the $6000 to $8000 range.

I loved all three CR-Vs I've owned: a 1999 EX I bought new and drove for 10 years, a 2006 EX I bought used in 2009 and drove for 5 years, and the 2014 EX I currently own. At one point I looked at a CR-V similar to the 2008 you're looking at, but I personally don't like the way the front grill and bumper look. I bought the used 2006 instead.

Edit: since they confirmed that the A/C issue had been addressed, does that mean they have all the maintenance records for it? That's a plus.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I had a fully loaded 2008 Executive, loved it to bits. I would not have gotten a base model tho.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply and checking Edmunds. It seemed reasonable to me as well. They did produce the carfax and the maintenance records reflected there did seem a little light compared to other cars with the same milage. I understand that things like oil changes, rotations etc are not recorded if using 3rd parties. He seemed to have access to other records from the dealer and/or Honda and confirmed the AC replacement. It did seem in good shape but it was not detailed or anything since it just came in on trade Saturday so my impression was skued a bit. Test drove and it seemed solid. No pulls, etc. Brakes and rotors seemed OK as well but waiting for confirmation from them on that.

Tires look very new.

I will likely try to work a deal but it looks good.

Just looking for any gotchas.

Thanks again
Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the dealer to agree to $8300. Aside from the fact that the AC assembly was replaced in 2014 they also replaced the front brakes and rotors as well as front and rear sway bar links last night. I had read where the sway bar links go bad on these cars as well. Rear brakes are at 90% and tires are almost new. I think it is a good deal.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Stabilizer bar links go bad in all Hondas--they just wear out from the wear and tear of the road. Mine are still good, but I don't know if they have ever been replaced or not.

No worries on 5'1" height--my better half is the same height and since the seat has a height adjustment, it's not an issue. The steering column telescopes, so if someone is shorter and riding closer to the wheel, it should probably be pushed in all the way while driving it.

Reactions: chason987

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response. I have a 2017 and the 2008 seems to be more accommodating for shorter drivers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. We are in western NY and really wanted the AWD version so we did. I have it on my 2017 CRV and it makes a huge difference. I could have gone with snow tires on the 2WD but I did not want to deal with it. I have always used all seasons.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hello...I love my 2017 CRV EX and our daughter just got her license and we are considering getting her one as well. We live in Buffalo, NY so we really want to go AWD...I know there is debate on that. But we found a 2008 EX with 113K miles for $ 8,700. This one just came off trade on Saturday so the dealer is still going through it. But based on my research for our area it seems like a good choice. I had them confirm that the AC Clutch assembly was fixed in 2014 with the new parts that Honda provided. Our daughter is 5' 1" tall as well so we are hoping this model CRV is good for shorter drivers.

I guess I am really old school and I need a sanity check here. But I just can get my head around paying $ 8700 for a car with 113K miles on it. I know these things are reliable but that seems pretty high.

I know there are likely tons of threads on this but I was just wondering what others think of #1) The price of $ 8700 and #2) How do you like your 2008 CRV EX. ?

I did find some EXL's 200 miles away from us for about the same price so I will likely try to negotiate down but these things are selling like crazy around here.

Thanks for any input...Pull me back from the cliff!
Thanks
Dave
I'd offer them 8,000. I just traded a 2008 EX-L in perfect condition, no accidents, all maintenance 135,000 miles on
Odo on a $37,000 vehicle and all I could wrangle out of them was $5,700 for the CR-V. The EX you're looking at doesn't even have leather. Also, check and see if the A/C compressor clutch had ever been replaced. That's a sore spot with this Gen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I already closed the deal at $8300. They said the AC clutch was replaced in 2014.

I wish I could have done better but I need a vehicle. I really don't care about leather. But my daughter will miss the heated seats.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I already closed the deal at $8300. They said the AC clutch was replaced in 2014.

I wish I could have done better but I need a vehicle. I really don't care about leather. But my daughter will miss the heated seats. But beggers can't be choosers. I could see the road through the floor on my first car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a 2008 and bought a 2017 last year, the only reason being that my daughter needed a car so I gifted her the 2008. I loved it (better than the 2017) and she loves it still. Has similar mileage and no problems at all.

·
Registered
2007 EX-L Front Wheel Drive with Navigation.
620 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase! I have a 2007 with 124,000 miles that I purchased used. She had 63,000 when I bought her. I have only had regular maintenance plus the brake pads and rotors replaced with a wheel alignment. The actuator was replaced plus the air bags because of the recall for free by the dealership. I would ask the dealership if those recalls have been performed.

It sounds like you got a good deal. I bet your daughter will bond and love that car. I certainly have loved mine for these last 6 years.

·
Registered
340 Posts
One thing that's missiing, especially for a new driver of a CUV is the rear-view camera. Make sure she understands that you can't see well behind the vehicle, especially sitting up higher than a regular car.
That was one of the top reasons we traded in out 08.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One thing that's missiing, especially for a new driver of a CUV is the rear-view camera. Make sure she understands that you can't see well behind the vehicle, especially sitting up higher than a regular car.
That was one of the top reasons we traded in out 08.
Thanks...Yes...That thought did cross my mind. She learned to drive in my 2017 with the camera so it will be an adjustment. I use it all the time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congratulations on your new purchase! I have a 2007 with 124,000 miles that I purchased used. She had 63,000 when I bought her. I have only had regular maintenance plus the brake pads and rotors replaced with a wheel alignment. The actuator was replaced plus the air bags because of the recall for free by the dealership. I would ask the dealership if those recalls have been performed.

It sounds like you got a good deal. I bet your daughter will bond and love that car. I certainly have loved mine for these last 6 years.
Thanks...I hope it lasts. As luck would have it a 2007 CRV EXL with 97K popped up on Facebook Marketplace today. Now that is a good price but nervous about buying from FB or craigslist. Thanks for the feedback,

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts

I wish I could have done better but I need a vehicle. I really don't care about leather. But my daughter will miss the heated seats.

Thanks
Congrat on the buy. The heated seats don't work as well as you might think, as it take forever to get heated. I live in CA, and it take nearly 10 min to fully warm-up. The 07-11 model years are some of the easiest to maintained and repair. Hope your vehicle don't have any rust on the undercarriage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts