Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mileage: 83000
Trans: Auto- 5 Speed

This happened to me twice on two consecutive Fridays.
Car is parked in my work parking lot, the ignition turns on then engine light is on, I can switch gears but no movement and the steering wheel won't turn.

If it's a transmission issue, why wouldn't the steering wheel at least turn?
I wait like 5 minutes and let the car back up on a flat ground-since reverse is the only gear working- and it works fine.

Notice: A mechanic just changed the brakes and rotors on my rear wheel

·
Everything in Moderation
7,613 Posts
This is a strange one.

If your year has an electric steering lock release as Fords do, that could account for the steering wheel not turning.

When you say "the ignition turns on then engine light is on" is the engine actually started? Or is it 'key on, engine off'?

If there is a CEL, have the code read at an auto parts store or repair shop and post the result.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sounds like the steering wheel interlock is not releasing. How did you get it to work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a strange one.

If your year has an electric steering lock release as Fords do, that could account for the steering wheel not turning.

When you say "the ignition turns on then engine light is on" is the engine actually started? Or is it 'key on, engine off'?

If there is a CEL, have the code read at an auto parts store or repair shop and post the result.
The engine starts then check engine light is on. After 5 minutes or so it goes away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can you record a video if this happens again? I cannot figure this out. Can you take the car to a auto part store and have the check engine code checked for free? Another puzzle piece I hope.

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
Trying to make sure we understand what you are trying to share with us.

Car can start. Check engine light on. Car will shift into D but fails to move. Will move in R.

If that's correct, it points to at worst at failed transmission at best a transmission that has not been properly maintained or has been abused.

Will it move forward if you shift into L or 1? Once moving does D work?
When was transmission fluid last replaced?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts