Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have an all original 08 EX AWD with 96K miles. When running, the power steering pump has started to whine continuously. Whine is rpm dependent. Low rpm, low whine. Higher rpm, higher (louder) whine. Cold or warm temp, turning wheels, etc, do not make much difference - whining is always there. Fluid level is normal - between the lines. Have never had to add fluid. Confirmed it easily as a noisy pump with an auto stethoscope. Have the 08 CRV factory service manual. Searched out "steering pump" on multiple forums and read dozens of posts, but have not found any direct hits. I do not have any fluid leaks. Fluid is not foamy, and does not push back out thru the reservoir cap. I figured the first step was a fluid drain and refill. I picked up 4 bottles of Honda PS fluid (08206-9002), and just for good measure, the magic red/orange o-ring (91345-RDA-A01). Per the FSM, I drained (pumped out, actually) the old dark fluid. Drained out slightly less than a quart. Then I filled it back up with new fluid. It eventually took (2) 12 oz bottles, plus a little more, to get it to the top fill line. Whine now might be slightly less, but the whine problem is clearly still there. I do not plan to go ahead with the o-ring fix, as I'm not pushing out fluid. Are there any other steps I can take, other than replacing the pump? If I drain and fill again, can that possibly improve things further?

Thanks in advance for any advice ! Ken

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If it was mine I would check the O ring to see if it is the black one and change it. Or just change it since you have it. A 1/4" knuckle socket will loosen the bolt and then remove it with your fingers.
You took 16oz out and put 24+ back in so I'm thinking some air was in it somewhere, assuming you started with the res full. If you have changed fluid and moved the steering through it's full travel a few times and it's still noisey, it could be a bad pump.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Fixer - thanks for the reply. I'm sure the original black o-ring is still in there. I did not put the new red one in because I did not have any apparent fluid leaks, the fluid is not foamy, etc - the usual signs of the failed $1 o-ring. But, I'll do that next, since I have it, and I still have a whine problem. I found a video on youtube that shows how to loosen the bolt, remove it, and replace the o-ring. I measured pretty carefully the fluid I took out, and the fluid I put back in. It matches up pretty much the same - about 26-28 ounces - out and back in again.

Will replace the o-ring, and if that does not resolve the whine, will do the pump next.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
If it were mine and I planned to keep the car, I'd replace the pump, sounds like bearings. I don't think I've ever got more than 100k miles out of a pump on any car, and that's a whole lotta cars and a couple of million miles since 1970.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
If it were mine and I planned to keep the car, I'd replace the pump, sounds like bearings. I don't think I've ever got more than 100k miles out of a pump on any car, and that's a whole lotta cars and a couple of million miles since 1970.
I can't imagine how annoying it could be, but for myself, I don't replace anything until it actually fails. I'm from the school of: If it ain't broken don't fix it, as Honda parts last virtually forever, but again if it's that loud, then maybe it is broken.

I've never replaced a steering pump on any Honda I've owned, and I get much more than 100k out of them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update - I work pretty slowly and I wanted to get this resolved in a timely fashion, as my wife uses this CR-V daily for work. So, instead of taking it on myself, I went to the Honda tech I use for my heavy lifting (he takes on jobs on the side). He has worked on Hondas for 20+ years, so I trust his judgment. When we talked, he was skeptical that it was the power steering pump, as honda pumps typically don't fail very often. Instead, his thinking was that the constant rpm based whining might more likely be the tensioner, or perhaps the water pump. Since I checked only the p/s pump with the stethoscope, there was a chance that my diagnosis was not on target. So, off to the tech it went. To his surprise, it indeed was the power steering pump. With a new pump in place, all is quiet again.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
You have inherently bad luck with power steering pumps.

I've never had to replace a steering pump on any of my vehicles in 37 years (a few years shy of your experience), that includes a couple of GMs that had over 180k on them when sold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts