Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may have been happening since I bought the car a few years ago, but I only noticed this recently.

When idling, I hear a click exactly every 15 seconds, and the lights dim for a fraction of a second (the voltage drops too when this happens)

I did some googling, and found Accord forums discussing it and how the dealer told them this was normal. Is it?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
What you are describing sounds like the AC compressor cycling on and off. Try turning the AC off next time and see if that is what you're experiencing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you are describing sounds like the AC compressor cycling on and off. Try turning the AC off next time and see if that is what you're experiencing.
My AC was off when I observed this.

According to the the Accord forums I linked, this is some problem with electronics that Honda doesn't recognize as recall-worthy.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I would check all my relays, and if I found nothing there, get the alternator/charging system checked for a possible weak or failing diode or weak battery. If there are no issues there and your compressor is not short-cycling and is not low on Freon, I'd start checking ground connections on the car, and running circuit checks. Most often cause I've seen for this is the alternator, #2 is a bad battery cable or main ground.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,912 Posts
Also don't forget, if your climate controls are set to ANY of the windscreen-clearing positions, the A/C system will be cycling to remove humidity (without any indication that the A/C is on).

As a diagnostic, turn the HVAC system OFF for a while, see if you hear the CLICK after 15 seconds THEN. 😊

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 08 crv ,I ended up installing a new battery but I bought a battery and battery tray from a honda accord bigger battery and tray.installed it and never happened again .the crv go cart batterys have sucked .went with a 24f series battery interstate.honda batterys suck.even though they are made by johnson controls. The 450cc amps is not enough to power a awd 4wd with lots of electronics .problem was solved after this

1 - 6 of 6 Posts