Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Need help identifying this engine noise. Serpentine has been removed to isolate sound. VTech screens have been checked and cleaned. Rockers have been inspected. No scaring on camshaft. Nothing appears out of the ordinary. Timing chain and timing marks have been checked for alignment. Makes noise through range of temperatures including, cold, warm, hot.

Replaced: VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve + Gasket

Was throwing this code before code cleared:
P2646
MANAGEMENT SYSTEM STUCK OFF 3. VTECH OIL PRESSURE SWITCH CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION. 1. ROCKER ARM OIL CONTROL VALVE (A) STUCK ON/OFF 2. VARIABLE CYLINDER

Engine has 166K Miles.

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yep, had my VTC Actuator replaced not long ago.
Starting the engine in my 2014 CR-V after it had sat all night caused a few seconds of a distinct rattling sound.

The sound in your video does not match the sound my engine was making before the VTC actuator was replaced.
I found a video on youtube.com that has the VTC Actuator sound.
Skip to 1:50 where he starts the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Need help identifying this engine noise. Serpentine has been removed to isolate sound. VTech screens have been checked and cleaned. Rockers have been inspected. No scaring on camshaft. Nothing appears out of the ordinary. Timing chain and timing marks have been checked for alignment. Makes noise through range of temperatures including, cold, warm, hot.

Replaced: VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve + Gasket
View attachment 136871

Was throwing this code before code cleared:
P2646
MANAGEMENT SYSTEM STUCK OFF 3. VTECH OIL PRESSURE SWITCH CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION. 1. ROCKER ARM OIL CONTROL VALVE (A) STUCK ON/OFF 2. VARIABLE CYLINDER

Engine has 166K Miles.

Thanks for your help!!
Hi did you figure out the problem? My car is making that exact sound. Not sure where to start.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts