Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Ex with 90k miles needs to have the front struts repoaced. I'm fairly confident that I can get the job done myself. However, I have looked all over the great, wide Internet and haven't been able to find any step-by-step or how-to video showing the process.

I am quite suprised that I haven't been able to find any post 9r video on this. This is the first time that the Internet has failed to guide me on a DIY for what I've been trying to do.

Please share your links, tips, advice or anything that might give me more info before I dig into this project and at the same time, help restore my faith in the great,wide Internet to solve all my DIY qyestions.

·
Banned
806 Posts
It is super easy IMO. I would suggest you spray all of your bolts with some sort of rust penetrate a day or two in advance, unless you have an impact gun. I have a 2012 and removed them to replace the dust boots. Support the vehicle on a jack stand and have another close by to support the wheel hub as it will want to flop down. You will also need a spring compressor if you have the spring attached to the strut. Unless you buy a whole new component. I'm sure you can rent the spring tool at your local parts store, probably for free. Or purchase one starting at around $40. Remove the bolts at the top and bolts at the bottom along with anything else attached to it and it will come right out.

Seems like mine had 5 bolts on top and 3 on the bottom. Along with an attachment to support the ABS wire going to the wheel hub. Yours may be different.

·
Registered
25 Posts
May want to watch the first link in regards to using the "stick" type compressor starting at 21 minutes.

Google "eric the car guy strut replacement" and watch the one for the 2001 Odyssey when the "sticks" fail to hold the spring at 21 minutes into the video....

·
Banned
806 Posts
May want to watch the first link in regards to using the "stick" type compressor starting at 21 minutes.

Google "eric the car guy strut replacement" and watch the one for the 2001 Odyssey when the "sticks" fail to hold the spring at 21 minutes into the video....
Watched it, and I can tell you what he did wrong. He compressed that spring way too moch as well as using an impact gun to do it. I have done a couple of these on different cars and have never compressed the spring like he had it. And I don't use air tools to compress the spring. I also count the number of turns on each side as I go. And number two he used an impact on that top nut and the vibration of the impact shook his spring compressor loose.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Watched it, and I can tell you what he did wrong. He compressed that spring way too moch as well as using an impact gun to do it. I have done a couple of these on different cars and have never compressed the spring like he had it. And I don't use air tools to compress the spring. I also count the number of turns on each side as I go. And number two he used an impact on that top nut and the vibration of the impact shook his spring compressor loose.
He made more mistakes than that....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll get looking for a good deal on struts and get it done soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts