Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an issue with the door lock actuator on the passenger front door of our 2008 CRV. Purchased a replacement and went to change it out Saturday afternoon. From what I've seen the gotcha on this repair are the 3 screws holding the actuator around the lock mechanism on the edge of the door. Man were they right. I'm glad I started with trying to loosen those screws before I tore the inner panel off. I tried a couple things to get the screws loose. First a cordless impact driver. Wouldn't budge. Next an impact driver that you hit with a hammer to break the screw free. Nothing.

Since I did not have replacement screws on hand (6x20 flat head) I stopped. The next step will be to drill the screws out and install the new actuator with new screws. My local dealer doesn't stock the screws so he ordered them in for Wednesday. Stopped cold due to $1.50 worth of hardware...

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had 2 actuators replaced under that campaign. Driver door and rear passenger door. Called my Dealer and they said they will try for goodwill after the repair, but I was looking at 150 to diagnose, 120 for the part, then labor to replace. I got the Honda actuator online for 60 bucks. Another hour of my time to swap it out and with everything involved, I am still ahead. Plus I get to see how this all goes together. I can see this CRV being around for at least another 4-6 yrs so the more I can do myself, the better off I will be.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had similar problem with the screws when I replaced the rear passenger actuator on my '08. What worked for me was some PB blaster...the philips head bit from the impact screw driver...a 8mm socket to fit over the bit and a 1/4 drive ratchet.

You have to make sure the philips head bit fits deep and square onto the screw head...then with one hand, apply as much force as possible to prevent the bit from slipping out and attempt to loosen the screw at the same time with the ratchet...the key is getting a enough torque to break loose the screws.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on the actuator. I have yet to change it out. It seems that working on the door with the impact screw driver worked something loose in the mechanism and it is working properly. No buzzing, no closing by itself. I will continue to watch it and if it gives me fits, I'll change it out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I changed mine using the impact hand-hammered driver. It should work, as long as you have the correct bit that fit the screw head like a glove. That is very important, because there was a time when I used an incorrect one (it still looked fit though) and it didn't budge. You've got to use one that really fit nice and tight and fit. Then it should come out because the torque on all these screws should be the same (unless you mis-hammered the driver in the other direction :) I know it happens sometimes)

That said, a few months after I changed mine, I got the letter for the recall and got the dealer to replace again (though I told them I already did that). Needless to say I was pissed. Why didn't they send out the recall sooner so I didn't have to bother with mine?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is starting to buzz again so I will need to pull it out. Plan B is to now drill the heads off the screws holding it in. I purchased replacement screws after my initial experience with trying to remove them. I had a good tight fit on the bot, it just would not break free. I have some time to go over the process since the V is off at college with my son. I'll get a crack at it in May when he is finished.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts