Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone...I signed up on the forums to ask for a bit of help. My wife and I are searching for our first major car purchase (baby on the way) and we think the CRV is our best bet. We don't have too much in the way of a budget but don't want to go any older than a 2008. I found a listing for a fully loaded 2008 EX-L at the perfect price for us, but the bummer is that it's got 192,000 miles on it! I drove it yesterday and it felt good...the Carfax history is very clean and it has only ever been serviced at a local Honda dealership. I did hear a high pitched "whine" on acceleration, but other than that it's in really phenomenal shape. So the question is...Is it too good to be true? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
CRV’s are reliable as heck, but lets face it. Any vehicle around 200 k is going to need some repairs eventually.

More than likely I wouldn’t worry about anything major like engine or transmission failure, but you will eventually need exhaust work, sensors, tires, brakes. Also Front end suspension work, shocks, etc.... Even A/C could go an any vehicle at this mileage.

But bottom line is, if this was my budget, I would seriously buy a Honda/Toyota product over any other car maker.

Good luck, and try out a few other CRV’s before jumping on it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
agree with Rickman, at 200k any car will need to have work done on it. if it has been serviced at Honda with all the required maintenance you should be good. Any vehicle with that mileage, get it inspected by a mechanic before you decide to buy.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I found a listing for a fully loaded 2008 EX-L at the perfect price for us, but the bummer is that it's got 192,000 miles on it!
Agree with the guys above, 200k takes it's toll on any vehicle, but certainly I feel Honda & Toyota are likely to have the least # of significant problems at that point. And even though the engine and tranny are likely to keep going, those smaller items can still lead to some expense if for some reason they happen to fail one after another or more than one at a time. Personally, if I had a limited budget I would prioritize a base model with lower miles over a fully loaded model (not to mention there's less to go wrong and reliability is the biggest creature comfort of all). And certainly get it checked out by a reputable 3rd party.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I would personally look for a lower mileage V. That's JMO though. I say that because you're going to have to put some money into something that has high mileage like that.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree with Coastie05. Very high mileage. If it seems to be in good shape and well maintained, it was probably traded because of upcoming problems.

·
Registered
101 Posts
We bought a 2005 with almost 142,000 on it for $1500. We put almost $3K in but that included brakes, tires all new filters, fluids, a starter and body work on the front passenger side. Yes I will need to replace some exhaust pipe next year but finding a reliable AWD EX model and being fully in at under $4500, is a great deal. Everything works. No bad electric Windows or electrical issues. That cash for clunkers took so many sub $3000 cars of the roads that were functional and pretty safe, it's very hard to find much reliable under $5K. You can have almost any car you want for $10K but almost all need 100,000 mile servicing and then some. At least most CR-V owners do the scheduled maintenance.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the replies! We decided against this particular CRV. Our budget being what it is (8500-9000), coupled with the fact that we are really trying to find an 07, it seems I'm stuck with relatively high mileage. Im actually checking out a 2007 EXL tomorrow listed at 8800 with 155,000 miles... A much lower mileage for us considering we rarely drive more than 8000 miles a year. Anything specific to look out for? I've been reading about some concerns with the A/C on 2007's?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts