Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. I inherited my father's 2008 with only 50k miles. Cars in great shape but it's 10yr life has caused some some age issues. Example: I just had the original tires replaced. They were 10 years old with only 50,000 miles on them. The tread was fine but the issue is the rubber was cracking and degrading.

The same issue has happened with the accessory belt. When I replace the belt I want to replace the tensioner. In my experience with car repair I always avoid parts from China. I own a 2005 Subaru and have learned from experience that the Chinese parts fail every time. What I'm looking for is the name of the original manufacturer for the OEM belt tensioner. However, if anybody on this thread knows an aftermarket belt tensioner that is very reliable I am open ears. Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,199 Posts
Since your father's car is so young mileage-wise, I'd just replace the belt, not the tensioner. The OEM part is FAR superior to aftermarket.

Our '06 is still running the original tensioner with 180K miles. When you remove the belt, check the 'feel' of the tensioner (and any idlers, if present). If you don't feel any wobble or 'roughness' you are good to go.

I always put a drop or two of oil on each side of the tensioner bearing when I change the serpentine belts. JUST A DROP, then wipe it...you want to lubricate the bearing, but not have the oil fly around and make the belt slip or degrade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since your father's car is so young mileage-wise, I'd just replace the belt, not the tensioner. The OEM part is FAR superior to aftermarket.

Our '06 is still running the original tensioner with 180K miles. When you remove the belt, check the 'feel' of the tensioner (and any idlers, if present). If you don't feel any wobble or 'roughness' you are good to go.

I always put a drop or two of oil on each side of the tensioner bearing when I change the serpentine belts. JUST A DROP, then wipe it...you want to lubricate the bearing, but not have the oil fly around and make the belt slip or degrade.

Fantastic, Thank you. I will definitely give that a try right away.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Yeap that's pretty much it. But the drop of oil won't do anything. Actually nothing unless the seals for the bearing are bad at which point out actually make matters worse by thinning the grease. Pulleys like this use sealed bearings. Replace when they go bad which Honda uses high end bearings so 200k on them is pretty common.

If you want to service being extremely careful you can remove the seals, degrease them thoroughly and pack in new grease.

As for aftermarket, if you don't buy from the dealer, parts from the autoparts store are often fine as long as you don't buy the cheapest stuff they offer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts