Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey Fellas

I need a lil help i have a 2008 Honda CRV 2.4l that's been overheating.. Started with a hole in the upper radiator housing replaced the radiator. to still have it overheat a week later.. Replaced the thermostat and the coolent fan which was bad.. Then the water pump started leaking.. replaced the water pump and gasket with a new one that was a month ago. today the car overheated again with coolant driping out from the water pump again.. what am i missing..

Thanks in advance
2008 Honda CRV 2.4L 2WD

·
Registered
111 Posts
Are you sure water pump was actually replaced? Would not normally leak from water pump unless internal pump seal is worn out -how could that happen with a 1 month old pump? Was radiator cap replaced? Bad cap could give wrong pressure. I guess headgasket is a possibility although unusual on this engine but if it got hot enough head could have warped -look for air bubbles in radiator -cap off engine running, any white smoke on start-up?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wonder if parts of the radiator housing went into the water pump. Might be good to do a flush and then burp it to get rid of all the bubbles.

Does the water pump have a weep hole. Could that be the leak?

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
It is possible that the initial overheating caused a head gasket leak.
With a cool engine, remove the radiator cap (always being aware that if hot, scalding coolant may spew out and burn you) and start it up. Make sure the fluid level in the radiator is enough so that you can see the fluidl. While it is warming up, look down into the filler neck and see if you are getting quite a few bubbles coming up. Run it until the coolant reaches operating temp. Bubbles indicate gasses leaking past the head gasket.
Did you use a quality water pump when you replaced it?
Do some onllne research on how to tell if your head gasket is leaking. Youtube probably has several vids on it.
Buffalo4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts