Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've just bought a 2008 CR-V, imported from Japan to Grenada. I have a flashing light on the dash telling me the key fob battery is low, so being the cautious type thought I'd try a new battery in the spare fob first, just in case something strange happened and it didn't work I'd still have the main fob to use. So, I removed the existing CR2032 battery (which showed about 2.6V with a multimeter) and replaced it with a new one. Now when I press either of the two buttons the red LED on the remote flashes quickly 5 times (more or less) but doesn't operate the door locks, nor can I turn the ignition; I should point out that there is no ignition key, just a round knob that you turn like you would a key - if the fob / remote is in the car (usually in my pocket) this will work, if not it won't - I think this is quite unusual and maybe a Japanese market only setup; there is an emergency key hidden in the remote that can be removed and used if necessary.
However, if I remove the new battery (which shows over 3 volts) and put the old one back, all works again. I tried a different new battery too, so one Maxell and one Panasonic (which is the same brand as the old battery), same result.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Just wanted to clarify. You use the same model as the original battery? Can you check the voltage once the new battery is inserted into the fob? You might have a bad batch of new batteries.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The second new battery i tried was Panasonic, same as the old one. Can't check the voltage once it's in the remote though

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
That's weird the new ones have the right voltage. But the old one has less voltage but it works. Look at the profile of the old one to the new one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts