Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Honda CRV
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CRV I've been gifted had the Auto. Transmission fluid replaced recently, but I don't know if they used OEM Honda fluid. I've read that Honda transmissions are very particular and should be used with OEM fluid (I know Honda doesn't make it, just puts their label on it).
Can anyone here attest to this or no?
TIA!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Sam
I'd always advise using manufacturers spec products for longevity of the gearbox for lots of reasons. None more so than Honda test everything to destruction & leave very little to chance. So unlike lots of other manufacturers, it's important to always try & stick to the spec.

Having said that, nothing will kill a gearbox quicker than low, no or degraded oil. If you have reason to doubt, change it for peace of mind. It's an inexpensive job.

Oil is the blood of the engine & in exactly the same way "if you have bad blood (oil) it always ends badly".(y)

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX Obsidian Blue
116 Posts
Yes it is advisable to always use Honda transmission fluid. That goes for coolant as well.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,917 Posts
Honda's automatics are unique in that they use wet-plate clutches that require a certain frictional property in the fluid to function correctly. Other fluids will work for a while, but might require more frequent changes.

If you have a few minutes, the link below explains how Honda's transmissions came to be. :cool:

Reactions: JB in AZ
1 - 4 of 4 Posts