Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2009 CR-V 4WD that was recently purchased as-is from a Toyota dealer, almost 100k miles. I've changed all the fluids, including switching the oil to Mobil 1 full synthetic and a Honda filter.

From the very beginning, I've noticed a knock/rattle that occurs constantly, whether the engine is cold or warm. I always hear it clearly inside the car while we're driving.

But it only seems to happen when the car is in gear. If it's in park or neutral, the sound seems to go away.

I tried unplugging spark plugs (while in gear) to see if it was one particular cylinder, but the sound seems to go away when I unplug any of the spark plugs (hard to tell with the rough engine).

In this video, the car starts out in park, then switched to reverse, then back to park.

Any ideas about the cause?

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4rUOkMlHaY

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
That does not sound healthy. It sounds like the valves needs adjusting or its a lower engine knock. Do the valve adjustment 1st then see what happens. How is level of engine oil? Let me know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That does not sound healthy. It sounds like the valves needs adjusting or its a lower engine knock. Do the valve adjustment 1st then see what happens. How is level of engine oil? Let me know.
Thanks, I figured that might be the next step. The oil level from the dealer was too high. They claim they put new oil in it, but it was really dark. I just changed it yesterday, but the sound is still there. The oil level right now is a little below the max.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Do the valves when the engine is cold. It doesn't sound so, bad. My bet is that the valve lash is way too loose. Especially Honda's when the valves are adjusted properly they run like clockwork. The specs for the valve lash is in the owner's manual. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I would use a broomstick handle or similar to try to pinpoint the source of the noise (engine has to be running and many parts move, so be careful) before checking the valve lash, etc. Could just be a tensioner pulley, pump, etc.
You put one end of the 'broomstick' on your ear and touch the other end to the 'stationary' parts in the engine bay to see if you can find out where the noise is coming from.
Improper valve lash will usually make noise even while idling.
Hopefully someone will recognize the noise from your vid and post the source of it here.
Buffalo4
PS: I don't know how the dealer's new oil could be dark so soon, unless that engine has been neglected.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree on valve adjustment but I also think I hear an exhaust leak -maybe at manifold or first connection to exhaust pipe? This would produce more noise when under load than when in neutral.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts