Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed for a few weeks now that my 2009 with 70,000 miles engine shudders and very gently hesitates while I try accelerating, but only when driving slowly and I keep the rpms below 2000. The problem has slowly materialized but seems to be getting more and more noticeable, as the days go by. The shudder and hesitation continues, but if I only keep gently pressing the gas, up until about 50mph. If I I step hard on the accelerator at any time and the gear moves out of OD, the shudder and hesitation goes away. This leads me to suspect a particular problem, one I had years ago, with another Honda. I ended up changing out so many parts, at the advice of a shop mechanic friend, but to no avail.
Now, you might be thinking transmission gear problem, bent cv axles, bent wheel, etc but I am thinking more like clogged up egr valve and possibly blocked egr intake passages.
I owned a 91 Accord many years ago and those symptoms are exactly what was caused by three fully blocked and one partially blocked egr passage. I finally ended up having to do my own research, online, to fix the problem. I took apart the intake, slide-hammered out the egr port plugs, cleaned those ports passages and reinstalled the port plugs. Turns out, those blocked passages on the Accords usually ended up causing a burnt and broken intake valve, on the one partially blocked cylinder. Excessive hot exhaust gas hitting only that one cylinder was causing the misfire and eventually would cause the intake valve to crack. Car drove great after that port cleaning, for many years after, no shuddering or hesitation, problem solved.
My CR-V now has 70,000 miles and I suspect I need to do some cleaning, of those ports and the actual egr valve.
I searched on here and couldn't find any post or thread dealing specifically with a full port passage and egr cleanout, on my generation V.
Has anyone on this forum done this port cleaning on their V and if so, any advice or words of caution before I go diving into this job?
Appreciate any advice or tips I can get.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
You are due (time-wise) for plugs and a valve adjustment, that might help (you could wait til it warms up in Spring, though...BRRR). It is a better first attempt, I would think.

The K series engine has a three stage VTEC system and many engines will surge a bit at light or part throttle at around 2100 RPM and at 4500 RPM. Feels JUST like EGR...
If the engine accelerates smoothly at wide open throttle, that is what you are seeing. (Our Gen2 engine has always done it, from new.)

++++++++++

If your old Accord was a V6, yes we had that ERG passage issue too, on our Acura TL.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What you feel is the same thing that I experience. Honda programs shift points to quickly reach OD for fuel economy.

I don't know if driving on that shudder will cause long term damage but I just get myself out it.

BTW...I also have a 4th Gen Accord. Still haven't ever cleaned those ports.

Sent from my mobile device

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW...I also have a 4th Gen Accord. Still haven't ever cleaned those ports.
Do your 4th Gen Accord a favor and get those ports cleaned. It may save the life of a valve.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
if you have spent the vast majority of your driving trying to keep the rpm as low as possible, that is likely part of the problem. Its actually bad on an engine to drive that easily continuously. Reason is the lack of airflow allows carbon to deposit inside the throttle body and intake at a very accelerated rate. Can cause all kinds of runability issues. Very common problem with cars own by elderly people. Have to take the intake and EGR systems apart and clean them to get the engines running correctly again.

Another cause can also be transmission/axle based. A bad CV axle can cause a shudder, as well as transmission fluid not have been changed regularly (its not just mileage based, like engine oil it degrades over time) can cause the transmission not to function correctly making it feel as if hesitating and shuddering.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
if you have spent the vast majority of your driving trying to keep the rpm as low as possible, that is likely part of the problem. Its actually bad on an engine to drive that easily continuously.
That is why I advocate a periodic (monthly?) reach to the upper RPM reaches. ESPECIALLY on cars that have CVTs, where the RPMs are always low. (The low RPMs DO generate better MPG numbers, though.)

This not only diminishes possible carbon buildup, but the increased 'duty cycle' (on-time) of the injectors under these conditions serves to keep THEM cleaner.

:nod:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts