Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From yesterday I started having problems with my car's air conditioner I was driving on the freeway around 60 miles an hour and all of a sudden I noticed that the air conditioner was no longer blowing the cold air so for a few seconds I ignored it but then after 5 minutes when I noticed that the cold air is not coming at all I got really worried and I knew that there was an issue so anyhow I went to the Walmart parking lot and then I popped the hood open to see if something was obviously not engaging or something so then I checked if the compressor was engaging and yes the compressor was in fact engaging. So then at the Walmart I purchased the AC Pro refill kit that comes with the Guage and the refrigerant and I popped the hood open and when I plugged the gauge to the low pressure air conditioner line under the hood then as soon as I inserted the guage the needle jumped right to the red zone which means way too much high pressure or just too much freon in the system.

Just to note, I have never had to refill my ac system in the past and I bought this a brand new vehicle back in 2008. So it cannot be too much freon in the system.

So anyhow, I released all the system pressure with the proper means and made sure the pressure went down to 0 on the guage.

I then attached the AC Pro cannett to the guage and started with the refill process. Right away the compressor engaged and the needle went straight to the red zone.

Not sure why the needle would jump straight to the red zone when I just literally added 1 or 2 pumps of freon.

Can someone please please help me out? I'm enjoying route from New York to California and I am right now in the mid-west so it's HOT and driving with the kids it's very unpleasant experience without having the AC.

PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Everything in Moderation
8,077 Posts
You cannot measure low-side pressure unless the engine has been running with the A/C on for a few minutes.

When you checked the compressor, did you verify that the COMPRESSOR (and not just the clutch) was turning? If pressure is high (red zone) under those circumstances, your compressor clutch is (silently) slipping....

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
If you released all the pressure (big mistake) in the AC system through the low pressure site, you basically let all the refrigerant get into the atmosphere, a Federal offense, but, you said "I released all the system pressure with the proper means". Sure you did. :)

Now basically all the refrigerant , and perhaps some of the oil , is out of the system.
If the low side pressure is way too high, either the compressor is not working properly because the engine is not running or it is not engaged or it has failed.
The total capacity of refrigerant should be noted somewhere under the hood or in you owner's manual. On a Honda Civic of that year, the capacity is between 14-16 ounces.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
895 Posts
Need to check the expansion valve on the evaporator too. And you need a real set of gauges and not a refrigerant can gauge. Usually if the pressure is the same on both the high and low side, either the compressor isn't working or the expansion valve is stuck open.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If the compressor clutch is locking up and running then it wont be that relay.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the compressor clutch is locking up and running then it wont be that relay.
You were right. I went ahead and purchased a brand new AC RELAY at the local honda stealership. they charged me $32 dollars for the small relay. anyhow i replaced the AC RELAY and STILL THE SAME ISSUE. NO COLD AIR.

what are the next steps guys? please help. I don't think i can continue driving in this hot weather with kids and NO AC.

thank you

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Stop at an AC shop and see if they can do a proper charge of your system and check it for leaks and make sure the compressor is actually working.
Even shops like Midas, PepBoys, etc should be able to give you a quick check at a reasonable price.
If most or all of the refrigerant is out of the system, the compressor will NOT engage. There are ways to do that, but you will have to search online,
If the system is so low on refrigerant that the compressor will not engage, liquid refrigerant must be added carefully, by holding the can upside down. If you add too much liquid refrigerant, it can RUIN the compressor. You need to add just enough so that there is enough pressure to get the compressor engaged and then add only the vapor, which is what happens when the can is held upright. REMEMBER, adding it in liquid form can destroy your compressor.
Any decent shop that does AC recharging knows how to do it properly.
Here is a link to a vid using AC Pro and there are many other links if you go to that youtube page:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kNR3Ke4hso
Another AC Pro link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4QRdDtIYBw
Follow up by the author of the above link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpQxn0Ga6E8&feature=youtu.be
I guess you may just have to finish your trip with other means, such as open windows, like we did back in the 50's.
Buffalo4
PS: Did you ever check to see if a fuse was blown?
Under hood fuse box: Fuse #20 (7.5A) is for the MG Clutch, which I believe is for the AC compressor.

·
Registered
653 Posts
You were right. I went ahead and purchased a brand new AC RELAY at the local honda stealership. they charged me $32 dollars for the small relay. anyhow i replaced the AC RELAY and STILL THE SAME ISSUE. NO COLD AIR.

what are the next steps guys? please help. I don't think i can continue driving in this hot weather with kids and NO AC.

thank you
I had a similar problem last year with my 2007 CRV. Finally took it to a independent garage and he replaced the cabin filter, topped off the freon and it's been blowing cold ever since. I'm not mechanical (at all), but to the best of my understanding, the cabin filter will overly stress the AC system and cause problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good luck as it looks like they got you over a barrel. I was painfully stuck similarly a few years ago but on the other side - minus 18 degree C and no heat. The guy charged me $800 for a blower motor but the family was warm. (This is for a house furnace).

On a lighter note, as pointed out earlier, this reminds me of the 4 by 60 air conditioning - have all 4 windows open and drive at 60!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had a similar problem last year with my 2007 CRV. Finally took it to a independent garage and he replaced the cabin filter, topped off the freon and it's been blowing cold ever since. I'm not mechanical (at all), but to the best of my understanding, the cabin filter will overly stress the AC system and cause problems.
FYI: the mechanic that fixed my AC checked the cabin filter before he would even assess the AC unit -- said that he had seen too many problems with them being clogged and causing AC problems.

BTW, speaking of dealer rip off....Not only did they not "fix" my AC, when my cabin filter was pulled, it was too dirty to have been replaced 6 months earlier at the dealer. I was able to get the dealer to refund much of the repair costs for the AC attempt (and the filter replacement). Lazy mechanics!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I took it to a local mechanic. They ordered a new compressor and wala!

I have my a.c. back again.

Honda refused to do any TSB related fix as I was both out of time and miles warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts