Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new to me 2009 crv, but was shocked today when the mechanic quoted over $200 for a second key copy. Seriously?

I had my Toyota pickup for over 20 years and simply went to Home Depo for key copies. So I can't really comprehend this price.

Totally understand CRV's have more complex keys but surely there is a less expensive alternative that works? I'm very happy with a simple valet key but the mechanic quoted over $200 for this as well.

Advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I've not had this issue, but I would suggest you try calling some local locksmiths and do some price shopping. If they can't help you, at least they may be able to explain why. But hey, it's worth a shot, right? Let us know how it works out, and good luck.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,809 Posts
Keys these days have an RFID chip inside that is a theft deterrent. They work, but costs for replacement keys are PRICEY. Lucky you don't have a high-end European brand!!!!

Good advice to call a locksmith (or ask at the Home Depot first). Many dealers just sub-contract the keys to locksmiths, anyway.

When you ask the 'Smith, inquire about buying a key on eBay and having them 'program' it to your car.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Carbuff2 -
Keys these days have an RFID chip inside that is a theft deterrent. They work, but costs for replacement keys are PRICEY.
Which I don't get, since, as we all know, RFID chips are so cheap to produce that they are used in disposable anti-theft product packaging. They literally cost only pennies each to make. I suppose the key package and the rest of the circuit board with buttons has some cost to it, but I seriously doubt it is anywhere near enough to warrant what is charged for keys. I am sure glad I don't own a BMW. I heard those keys are super-expensive! They should be served with a tray of caviar and a bottle of good wine!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Be forewarned about cheap eBay keys. I’ve seen those come out of spec and not fit the ignition switch. Would suck to go through the trouble to get one cut just to find out it won’t fit. Some of the cost quoted by the shop is no doubt for coding the key to the car. I think there is a procedure to do it manually without a scan tool, but I don’t know what it is for that generation.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,809 Posts
^^^ That's why I suggested asking a locksmith. They might have experience fitting and programming 3rd party keys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a 2010 CR-V a couple weeks ago to replace a totaled Toy. Sienna we've had for years. There was only one key that came with the CRV, so I checked around for the least expensive key & fob. I ended up at a Honda dealer (Denver area) and walked out paying $204 for two key/fob. Other dealers were much more and locksmiths were typically higher. $200 for a single key sounds high.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Carbuff2 -

Which I don't get, since, as we all know, RFID chips are so cheap to produce that they are used in disposable anti-theft product packaging. They literally cost only pennies each to make. I suppose the key package and the rest of the circuit board with buttons has some cost to it, but I seriously doubt it is anywhere near enough to warrant what is charged for keys. I am sure glad I don't own a BMW. I heard those keys are super-expensive! They should be served with a tray of caviar and a bottle of good wine!
It's probably due to the equipment they have to buy to produce the key plus the labor charge. You know how dealers are - if it takes 5 minutes they charge you for 30. If it takes 20 they bill you for an hour.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
They must be related to plumbers. I had a busted pipe this week and the plumber charged me $187.50 per hour, 2 hours labor, to install $35 worth of parts. Plus a $30 service charge. I don't think rocket scientists make that kind of money. Or astronauts.

I woulda done it myself if I coulda, but it was up under the house in a tough location. Still.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I wouldn't have charged any less being under a house. Just got through fixing a leak under my dads house about a week ago. Laying on your belly in what ends up being a hog wallow sucks.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I do get that it's not all that fun. I was under there 5 years ago fixing another one. It wasn't too bad, though not fun either. This one was a little harder to get to, but my age will no longer allow me to do it. They did put down black plastic sheeting, which took care of that problem. They also left it there. But I don't care. It is still way over-priced. Short of a brain or heart surgeon, no one's labor is worth that much. Sorry, but it just isn't. Just like no car key is worth $200+. It's highway robbery. Thievery, and nothing less.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Shop around over the phone at a few dealers. I got prices all over the place for my 2014. I think I paid $200 for 3 fob keys. I got a $400 quote from one dealer.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts