Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we lock our CRV, the alarm goes off. There are many times when we come out of a store only to hear the horn blasting. Also of note, sometimes the horn honks if we lock it and other times it does not. Read somewhere that there can be a sensor issue. We have an appointment next week at the dealer but are not too keen on taking it there and coming away with a huge bill. Hoping someone can provide assistance so we can DIY. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Some have had problems with the hood switch (sensor). If it isn't working properly, the horn will not sound when locking the CRV.
Do some research on the hood switch in this forum and by searching online.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Here is how my '07 and '10 work.

When we lock our CRV, the alarm goes off. There are many times when we come out of a store only to hear the horn blasting. Also of note, sometimes the horn honks if we lock it and other times it does not. Read somewhere that there can be a sensor issue. We have an appointment next week at the dealer but are not too keen on taking it there and coming away with a huge bill. Hoping someone can provide assistance so we can DIY. Thanks in advance!
1. Lock with the button on the remote and lights flash - no horn.

2. If you are inside the car and lock it with the remote, then open a door, the horn blasts for a long time. The only way to stop the alarm in this case is with the unlock button on the remote.

3. Push the lock button on the remote when the car is already locked - lights flash and horn beeps a very short beep.

4. When the car is locked and a door is opened without the key or remote the horn blasts for a long time. It can be stopped only with the unlock button on the remote. Meaning, if the car is locked and someone is inside and opens a door; or, if a window is down and a door is unlocked by reaching in through a window, as a thief might, the horn will blast a long time.

5. Neither of mine have done this but there might be motion sensor to set it off if the car is rocked. Try it, lock it and rock it side to side and see if it goes off. If it does that sensor may be bad or miss adjusted?

6. To check for a hood switch for the alarm, open the hood and see if it the car will lock?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, we found the video showing how to disconnect the hood sensor. Since doing so, the alarm has not gone off when the car was locked! Fingers crossed that this fixed the problem. Hopefully we will be able to cancel our appointment at the dealer. Thank you for your replies!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hmmm. Turns out there is so a sensor for the hood latch.

Well, we found the video showing how to disconnect the hood sensor. Since doing so, the alarm has not gone off when the car was locked! Fingers crossed that this fixed the problem. Hopefully we will be able to cancel our appointment at the dealer. Thank you for your replies!
Tried my '10 and it does lock and unlock just fine with no alarm with the hood open! Yet, there is a wire going into the latch, and it is connected.

As a guess, for the car to lock it doesn't matter if the hood is open or closed; BUT, maybe, if the car is locked and then the hood opened, the alarm goes off? Anyone know what the logic is here?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Yes, that is correct.
If the hood is unlatched, the doors will still lock with the remote but the horn will not beep if you push the lock button twice.
If the hood is somehow opened after the vehicle is locked with the hood latched, then YES, the alarm should go off.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, after watching the you tube video the hood sensor was disconnected. Simple thing to do and no more horn!! Thank you all!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Over the years, I have noticed a few things about all Honda Security systems. They do not like those 3rd party insurance company devices plugged into the OBDII. They also hate open trunks, or hood sensors. I used to have constant alarm triggers and had to remove the device. I have also had to replace door switches on my Accords and CRVs lately. When they go bad, the car cannot sense the door being open or closed. My friend locked her keys in the car because it re locked and armed the car because of a bad door sensor. ($20 part.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have an issue with my 2015 Honda CRV-EX...

Whenever I lock it the alarm goes off, especially when I lock it using the soft button on the door handle...
How do I reset my car alarm? I've tried unclipping the hood sensor but to no avail...
from time to time the car alarm keeps going off... What are all the possible solutions to this problem? Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
HELP! I need to have more ideas of how to solve the alarm/horn going off, since I tried everything Honda mentioned to do. Grease doors, front latch, back hatch. Take battery out of key fob. The problem stated in Fall and very random, It was only in my driveway, but since Monday is it happening other places. Usually 4=3-5 times and then not.
I had a mechanic thinking it was someone with a garage door remote that is causing the problem.
ANY IDEAS!!!!! Like i mentioned to Honda when I called again, this is the last Honda I do not have this with my Toyota's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts