Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Lucky to have found this forum and hoping someone can help me with this problem. Hoping to avoid some costly diagnostic and repair for what should be a simple repair.

Seems like they all (both tail and center brake lights) stopped working at the same time. I've checked the number 12 fuse in engine compartment, replaced the brake switch and I can see the second filaments of the bulbs they seem to be intact. When I engage/disengage the brake switch with the car running I can hear a noise from below the center console some sort of I don't want to say clicking but maybe a light thump. Not sure what that could be.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

-j

·
Registered
135 Posts
You may need to check the pedal travel operation with the switch to make sure it is making proper contact.

Pull off the switch terminal. With an ohmmeter, check:

Between terminals 1 and 2, you should have continuity with the pedal depressed and no continuity with the pedal released.
The opposite should be true when testing between terminals 3 and 4.

If these conditions dont exist, then ensure that the pedal is contacting the swith and adjust pedal travel as needed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You may need to check the pedal travel operation with the switch to make sure it is making proper contact.

Pull off the switch terminal. With an ohmmeter, check:

Between terminals 1 and 2, you should have continuity with the pedal depressed and no continuity with the pedal released.
The opposite should be true when testing between terminals 3 and 4.

If these conditions dont exist, then ensure that the pedal is contacting the swith and adjust pedal travel as needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. The switch is definitely making proper contact. I actually removed the switch from the insert and was engaging it with my hand manually and the lights didn't work. I'll check continuity shortly. Assuming the continuity is correct what else could it be? Seems odd that that a short/miss-wire of some sort wouldn't trip a fuse. Also that noise that I'm hearing when engaging the switch is so odd. I really don't want to yank my entire dash to get to this issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rocky - I replaced the switch tho same issue. I wish I could find a wiring schematic for this. I'd love to find out what's causing the light thumping sound from behind the center console.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Embarrassed to say that replacing the bulbs fixed the problem. As it turns out a visual inspection of the bulbs was deceiving in that it looked like the filament was perfectly intact on both tail light bulbs. I decided to check the voltage at the leads where the bulbs plug in. As soon as jiggled the bulb it lit for a brief second. I replaced both tail light bulb and those brake lights are good to go. Next project replace the center bulb.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Thanks for posting back, even though it was a little embarrassing.
That could help others who think all the brake lights went out at the same time. Many will not notice that the brake lights are not working until the 'last' one goes out. Pretty common.
Thanks again for posting the solution. :D
Buffalo4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts