Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started having an intermittant issue with my 2009 CRV. Sometimes when starting from a cold start, the engine tries to turn and immobilizer system green light starts to blink. Eventually the car will start. The same problem occurs with both sets of factory keys. I talked to the dealer and they indicated they could hook the car up to a laptop to see if the immobilizer system is dropping the security code. They stated the problem will likely result in replacing the immobilizer module - approximate cost is $500-$600.

The immobilizer switch is located on the steering column behind the ignition switch. Has anyone replaced just the immobilizer switch? My research thus far on other Honda models shows you can replace the switch without reprogramming the module. The cost for the part is $68-$100. Has anyone replaced this switch and did that resolve the problem? Where did you get the part?

I haven't found anyone who has actually had a similar problem with a 2009 CRV and fixed it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ordered the immobilizer module online yesterday. I should receive the new part tomorrow. I followed the process for removing the immobilizer found on youtube for a Honda Odessey. The process is exactly the same for a CRV. I wanted to verify the part number before ordering. The part number is 39730-swa-a01. Will update this thread tomorrow with the results of replacing the immobilizer module. BTW the dealer told me previously this would cost $500-$600. The removal took about an hour. I'm sure the dealer could do it quicker with special tools to remove two of the screws. The part costs about $100 online. List price is $143.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the video I referenced in the above path (2007 Odessey) the same part on the Odessey did not require dealer programming. I was hoping the same held true for my 2009 CRV.

I received the part yesterday and installed it in my CRV. The part did not work as the immobilizer light continued to blink. I determined that the part required dealer programming and verified this by calling the local dealer. I set up an appointment for them to program the new part with the ECM on Wednesday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer installed the immobilizer unit and programmed all 3 sets of keys. They charged me 2 hours for labor. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need help 98 honda crv when I turn to the left it make a dunking noise do any one know what it can be please help me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts