Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my steel wheels of my 2009 CRV LX changed to Alloy at discount Tires. Day after installation, the TPM light comes on. I take it to discount tires. They use a unit and re-programmed the car computer with the TPMS id's. Then TPM light goes away and the low tire pressure light comes on (Tie with exclamation). This light does not go away.

The dealer is asking $50 just to read the codes saying that this is not covered under warranty as the wheels were changed at discount tires. The discount tires guys are at loss to explain this.

any of you encountered this before ?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I recently had my steel wheels of my 2009 CRV LX changed to Alloy at discount Tires. Day after installation, the TPM light comes on. I take it to discount tires. They use a unit and re-programmed the car computer with the TPMS id's. Then TPM light goes away and the low tire pressure light comes on (Tie with exclamation). This light does not go away.

The dealer is asking $50 just to read the codes saying that this is not covered under warranty as the wheels were changed at discount tires. The discount tires guys are at loss to explain this.

any of you encountered this before ?
I have a 2009 LX and I purchased my aftermarket alloy wheels from Discount Tire two months ago (America's Tire in S. CAL) without a problem , did they use the adaptor kit on the sensors??? I agree with Tibimaki, ask Discount to review this for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys:

Yup, discount tires used the adapter kit to migrate the TPMS sensors.

They used their TPMS checker on the tires and it showed that all sensors were fine. But when i asked my dealer to check them, it showed that the driver side sensor was malfunctioning. No idea how these systems gave different results.

The guys at discount tires were helpful and are ordering a new sensor for the driver side. gotta see what happens. I hate TPMS!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, after about 3 weeks, i have update on my Alloy wheel replacement experience. In a nutshell, i'd never want to go through it again and a huge thanks to discount tires.

So, my TPMS light came on about a day after the rims were changed to MB wheels Drifters. My dealer refused to troubleshoot saying that warranty is now void for the wheels. However i was told that the driver side TPMS was not reading correctly.

So Discount tire guys agree to buy a new sensor for that wheel. Took a week. The sensor was replaced, TPMS system re initialized, but same problem. So now the manager agreed to pay for the diagnosis done by the Honda dealer.

Honda dealer kept the car for 4 hours and said that they are unable to figure out why TPMS was not working and now that 3 sensors (apart from the newly replaced one) were not working. Talk about coincedence !!. They said that the only sure way to was replace the 4 wheels with known good wheels to test out the TPMS. That would have cost another $200. So i declined that test. Discount tires payed for the diagnosis (about $60).

They now suggested that they will replace the other 3 sensors. This time i suggested them to get sensors designed for alloy wheels. They did. The sensorys came in after a week. They replaced it, reprogrammed it and Voila... TPMS working now....

Moral of this story... Car manufactures and dealers are getting pretty good in tying you down to go with them and their exorbitant prices.

Being an electrical engineer, i suspected that the TPMS sensors from the steel wheels might have 2 issues that gave me grief in the new wheels.
1: the sensors were just not powerful enough to transmit the signals through the alloy wheel material which will attenuate the signals even more than the steel wheels.
2: Each of these TPM sensors have an accelerometer that detects when the wheel is turning and then turns on the sensor. If the mounting of TPMS on the alloy wheel is such that the sensory axis will not detect the wheel turning then TPMS sensor will not turn on even when the wheel is moving.

Anyway, i guess this was a very big learning experience for discount tires too. In future, they might require you to buy new TPMS sensors if you are changing from steel to alloy.

Hope this helps you if you are in the same situation.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well, after about 3 weeks, i have update on my Alloy wheel replacement experience. In a nutshell, i'd never want to go through it again and a huge thanks to discount tires.

So, my TPMS light came on about a day after the rims were changed to MB wheels Drifters. My dealer refused to troubleshoot saying that warranty is now void for the wheels. However i was told that the driver side TPMS was not reading correctly.

So Discount tire guys agree to buy a new sensor for that wheel. Took a week. The sensor was replaced, TPMS system re initialized, but same problem. So now the manager agreed to pay for the diagnosis done by the Honda dealer.

Honda dealer kept the car for 4 hours and said that they are unable to figure out why TPMS was not working and now that 3 sensors (apart from the newly replaced one) were not working. Talk about coincedence !!. They said that the only sure way to was replace the 4 wheels with known good wheels to test out the TPMS. That would have cost another $200. So i declined that test. Discount tires payed for the diagnosis (about $60).

They now suggested that they will replace the other 3 sensors. This time i suggested them to get sensors designed for alloy wheels. They did. The sensorys came in after a week. They replaced it, reprogrammed it and Voila... TPMS working now....

Moral of this story... Car manufactures and dealers are getting pretty good in tying you down to go with them and their exorbitant prices.

Being an electrical engineer, i suspected that the TPMS sensors from the steel wheels might have 2 issues that gave me grief in the new wheels.
1: the sensors were just not powerful enough to transmit the signals through the alloy wheel material which will attenuate the signals even more than the steel wheels.
2: Each of these TPM sensors have an accelerometer that detects when the wheel is turning and then turns on the sensor. If the mounting of TPMS on the alloy wheel is such that the sensory axis will not detect the wheel turning then TPMS sensor will not turn on even when the wheel is moving.

Anyway, i guess this was a very big learning experience for discount tires too. In future, they might require you to buy new TPMS sensors if you are changing from steel to alloy.

Hope this helps you if you are in the same situation.
Very interesting, I have my alloy wheels on my 09 CR-V LX with the original steel wheel sensors close to 3 months and close to 3K miles now.........fitted at Discount Tires (Americas Tire on West Coast) with their adaptor..........no problems so far.:confused:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can hardly believe that the alloy wheels caused all that headache.
maybe when they replaced the sensors they damaged them in some way and that's why they agreed to replace them. most likely did not fit properly.
soon I will be going through this and hopefully it will be a better experience.
I did this on my VW and did not require any adapters or anything else and it's still working fine after two years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, it could be that the sensors were damaged. But i asked discount tires to give me the original sensors from the crv now that they have been replaced. They all look fine. No physical damage. I doubt that there would be any electronic damage since the car was only 1 month old.

Anyway, hope you guys have a better experience.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tpms

I had a 08 Civic before my CRV and when I bought it I had no idea what a TPMS system was. I changed wheels and put 24,000 miles on it with the TPMS light on.. When i traded it back in I put the factory tire and wheel package back on and the light went off. No big deal.. The TPMS is another blinking light that cost a lot of money to jack around with if you're timid about those sorts of things. I ignored it, checked the air pressure regularly and had no problems what so ever.

I'm not saying that's what you should do but it's what I did and there was no issues with the car at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry about the experience but thanks for the heads up

Sorry about the experience but thanks for the heads up. I am in the process of scouting out a new wheel & tire combo for my '08 CRV. If you don't mind, can you tell us what wheels you put on the vehicle?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sorry about the experience but thanks for the heads up. I am in the process of scouting out a new wheel & tire combo for my '08 CRV. If you don't mind, can you tell us what wheels you put on the vehicle?
I purchased MB Wheels from Discount Tire (Americs Tire in Western States) and had the original tires switched from my oem steel wheels as they only had 350 miles on them.
Go to their website and search under wheels........these wheels are only $82 each........I'm very pleased with both the look and performance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.