Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the check engine light come on along with the flashing D on my 2009 CRV recently. I bought a ODB II code reader and it came up with code P0843. I bought the replacement transmission switch (28600-RCR-004) and when I went to replace it I found a mouse nest and the wire was completely chewed off. Is this something I can fix myself? If so, what is the part number and how can I replace it?

If it is not easy, what is a reasonable cost at the dealership for parts and labor? Can they splice in a fix or does the whole wire need to be replaced? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
You can fix it. But you may have to get some tools to crimp the new pins for the connector. The pins will have to be removed from the connector and new pins crimped onto the new wires butt spliced into the harness. I'm not sure what kind of pins those connectors take.

Just be sure to get the wires where they belong. May damage something if you hook it up backwards.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Does the car sit for long periods of time? If it were mine, what I would do is go to the dealer and ask about the wire. I would then get the part number and compare prices ant Hondapartsnow.com or another online factory parts distributor. Hopefully it is just a stretch of wire and not a whole harness. I'm not seeing where a mouse chewed wiring in the picture you posted.

Worst case scenario you splice all the wires together and tidy it up to where moisture can't penetrate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the photo was attached upside down for some reason.

hopefully this one is easier to see.

I circled two areas. one is the area where the wire is completely chewed off. there is no wire at the end of the connector. Probably 2 inches or so is completely removed. the remaining wire is next to the zip tie.

the other circled area shows the part of the wire that was chewed by the mouse.

I was suprised that a mouse chewed through this as there are no signs of mice in my garage. I park my car outside at the train station every day and that is the only other place I can think of where they could have gotten in. the nest wasn't that huge.

At my previous houses, I have had mice chew through the low voltage wire on the house air conditioning unit so it is not a complete shock. I'm pretty familiar with exclusion methods and signs of mice infestation.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a picture highlighting the amount of cable that was chewed off. it is probably a few inches. The wires are completely chewed off at the blue connector and the remaining part of the cable is near the zip tie.

I also highlighted the chewed cable

wire.jpg

·
Everything in Moderation
7,655 Posts
Wire damage from rodents has been an issue with Honda and other automakers' wiring, since they went to environmentally friendly insulation. (It's tasty, apparently!)

The dealers sell a rodent resistant wrap (part # 4019-2317) that you may want to consider. You can probably buy similar products aftermarket, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-4019-2317-Rodent-Tape/dp/B00AJTG3N0

·
Banned
806 Posts
So is it a stretch of cable that goes between the two circles?

I feared this same thing when I parked my car at the Grand Canyon for a week. They tell you that it may happen. My car was less than a year old at the time. No issues though.

Edit: I think I see where the wire is suppose to be. Correct me if I'm wrong. It is part of the wire where the wire tie is holding the two groups of wire, and that piece that is just hanging there and looks like a piece of tape. But I still can't figure out where the piece in the red circle to the right connects.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone on here can offer me some help.

I just found out that I have the exact same problem with a mouse chewing through my wire that connects to the transmission sensor. My wire looks identical to this post, where there is basically no wire left between the sensor harness and the main group of wires.

What did you end up doing to fix this? I'm having a hard time finding the harness part online. Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
splice in a new piece of wire. Take it to a shop if you want it fixed right

Not going to find just a piece of wiring harness online.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately there is not enough wire to splice onto. If no other options exist, I'll probably have to see about getting the harness re-pinned. But I was hoping there might be a part out there.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Nope because it's not a failure point. Only other option would be to pay for a full new harness.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
7,655 Posts
Perhaps a junkyard could provide 6" of wire and a connector to that sensor. Check CoPart.
http://copartfinder.com/

Years ago, our kid's Integra had its turn signal assemblies stolen! :jawdrop: The thieves cut the harnesses when they made off with the parts. Had to order from the opposite coast, as (of course) the parts were not available within 200 miles of us. When I explained our situation, the junkyard included the wiring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts