Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the unibody mount area for the rear trailing arm rust out from the inside out---no visible problem until the unibody fails and the trailing arm is detached from body while driving at speed. My wife nearly had major accident due to this problem. This is the only area of of crv with major rust which is only now evident.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Pictures or it didnt happen.. I live in the rust belt and not one occurance. Mine is a 2003 with 218k on it. I can't even find a single other report of this anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2009 with 196,000 miles, NY winters ,but kept washed (under as well) and garage stored. pics of passenger side as well and it also has a soft spot I could find with a screw driver.

Pictures or it didnt happen.. I live in the rust belt and not one occurance. Mine is a 2003 with 218k on it. I can't even find a single other report of this anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
That's definately a weird one. Wondering if you got one that was a bad coating job or if your area is using one of those supposed to be better than rock salt chemicals for clearing winter roads.

I would agree it's a concern but cant find anything about it anywhere yet for happening to anyone else on any version.

Good pics too. Help spread the word to get the info out for people to have this checked.

I have seen some issues with small batches having recalls for issues though and info posted about strut tower cap replacement.

That's a huge danger there, send that too Honda and NHTSA because that shouldnt happen. And who knows you may not be the only person out there, more reports the greater chance of recall to get something for your troubles.

I am finding similar issues with older Honda Pilots though. So it seems something happened.

All this said a good metal working shop that does custom work can fix and reinforce that area so your not out a vehicle. For me that's something I could fix at our shop (would take a good amount of time to get everything perfect) but FFS shouldnt have too on something not even 10 years old.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2009 with 196,000 miles, NY winters ,but kept washed (under as well) and garage stored. pics of passenger side as well and it also has a soft spot I could find with a screw driver.
Not to resurrect an old post, but I stumbled across this tonight. On Saturday, my 2008 CRV suffered the same fate on the passenger side. I live over in Wisconsin. Filed a complaint with Honda and a complaint with the NHTSA. Honda didn't have much to say about it. The did say that there is no recall in the US. If I decide to fix the car, they said to keep the receipts for the repairs. The receipts would need to be approved in order to get reimbursement. There is a recall in Canada for the same issue. Here are some pictures of ours. Haven't torn it down yet. Trying to figure out what to do with it now. Passenger side is solid, but has some weakness to it. Car has always been washed regularly during the winter.

(Pictures)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Oh damn. Ya that's a known issue for pilots in the rust belt as well. Repairs won't be cheap just FYI but I would have both sides done at the same time

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
All the more reason I'm shopping for replacements for both of our CR-V. I was hoping to keep them long-term but given the list of identical issues I've had with both of our '09, I'm done. I never had problems like this with my '97, and it has twice as many miles on it. All I need is for the ass end falling out while we're driving (and we do live in the heavily salted part of the country).

Great. One more thing I need to worry about. 🙄

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
All the more reason I'm shopping for replacements for both of our CR-V. I was hoping to keep them long-term but given the list of identical issues I've had with both of our '09, I'm done. I never had problems like this with my '97, and it has twice as many miles on it. All I need is for the ass end falling out while we're driving (and we do live in the heavily salted part of the country).

Great. One more thing I need to worry about.
It is preventable and repairable especially if repaired before failure. Good luck finding much that doesn't have some similar serious rust issue like these do. Sadly it's all accross manufacturers at some point. I've seen front sub frames rust and crumble at just above 100k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a recall on this in Canada because of road salt. I called NHTSA today they said no recall... I live in NY plenty of salt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honda should really issue a recall for it. I understand that cars rot out. However, this issue seems to be a freak case. The way they have the frame designed, the water, salt, and sand easily gets trapped in the frame. I got the same no recall response from Honda. Until someone dies or is seriously injured from it, I doubt they will do a recall. I have mine sitting in our side driveway for the time being. I am waiting it out to see if they do a recall. The frame on mine rotted from the inside out. The way that it happened, the damage wasn't detected until it was too late.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Until someone dies or is seriously injured from it, I doubt they will do a recall.
I was going to say the same thing. Our roads are salted with a vengeance where I live also. Thankfully we've had some mild winters, but our CR-Vs both came from Ohio, so there's no telling the life they've had. Everything seems solid back there, but the last thing I need is to have it rot from the inside and fail while driving it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brown M, My photos look identical. My 09 CR-V failed last night. Doesn't look too random. The rest of the body is in really good shape just the underside rotting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stay tuned. I had submitted a case to Honda a while back when I first replied. They reached out to me last week and they are talking about buying the CRV back. I submitted the title for proof of ownership to them on Friday. I haven't received an offer yet or gotten a call back from them yet. I should know more this week hopefully. There may be hope yet of coming out of a complete loss with this issue.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The way they have the frame designed, the water, salt, and sand easily gets trapped in the frame.
They don't seem to test these vehicles under real-life conditions. Most of the Hondas I have owned have suffered from the "cancer" behind the rear wheelwell where bumper cover meets--exact same place each time and you think they would have found a way to design it so the crud drains out vs. just siting there. The 1998-2002 Accords had a bad design where the AC drain tube was dumping onto the front subframe, and many people have had to get the subframe replaced or junk the car because it rotted away. This is yet another issue like that. I'm sure even a small drainage hole might help (quarter inch at the most), yet, drilling a hole will leave raw exposed steel open to the elements so it can rust (putting paint on it won't help), so it might be trading one set of issues for another.

I'm really worried about our blue '09. It came from Ohio like my tan '09 and miles are about equal on both, but it has lived a rougher life, and there is more corrosion underneath. And the damn thing started leaking oil last week, on top of all the other problems. I'm so disgusted with it that I have been shopping replacements for the past month. With this rotting issue, it's only a matter of time. The car I don't care about; it's potential injury that has me worried. Honda needs to do the right thing and get these off the road through a recall/buyback.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brown M. Who did you speak with about the issue? Dealers I spoke with just act as if they never heard of anything and just want me to deliver the car so they can see it but have no plan of what to do.

QUOTE="Wildcat, post: 1581689, member: 241441"]
They don't seem to test these vehicles under real-life conditions. Most of the Hondas I have owned have suffered from the "cancer" behind the rear wheelwell where bumper cover meets--exact same place each time and you think they would have found a way to design it so the crud drains out vs. just siting there. The 1998-2002 Accords had a bad design where the AC drain tube was dumping onto the front subframe, and many people have had to get the subframe replaced or junk the car because it rotted away. This is yet another issue like that. I'm sure even a small drainage hole might help (quarter inch at the most), yet, drilling a hole will leave raw exposed steel open to the elements so it can rust (putting paint on it won't help), so it might be trading one set of issues for another.

I'm really worried about our blue '09. It came from Ohio like my tan '09 and miles are about equal on both, but it has lived a rougher life, and there is more corrosion underneath. And the damn thing started leaking oil last week, on top of all the other problems. I'm so disgusted with it that I have been shopping replacements for the past month. With this rotting issue, it's only a matter of time. The car I don't care about; it's potential injury that has me worried. Honda needs to do the right thing and get these off the road through a recall/buyback.
[/QUOTE]
Stay tuned. I had submitted a case to Honda a while back when I first replied. They reached out to me last week and they are talking about buying the CRV back. I submitted the title for proof of ownership to them on Friday. I haven't received an offer yet or gotten a call back from them yet. I should know more this week hopefully. There may be hope yet of coming out of a complete loss with this issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I talked to the Honda Mediation department. The first step was that I had sent customer service a message online. They contacted me originally a few days later. Pretty much told me that there was no recall, so not much they could do. I let it be and then they contacted me again a month or two later to tell me that there was no recall. Then last week, they contacted me to talk about buying the vehicle back. I had to submit proof that we were the registered owners. I did that and hopefully should have a call back today from them. I called into 1-800-999-1009 and talked to a rep there about it today. My case manager was busy at the time. Here is the Honda customer service link. Another thing to note, is that I kept mentioning to them that there is a recall in Canada for this, but not the US. Stated that it keeps popping up on the forums and it will eventually be a big safety issue on their part.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
They never did a recall on the Pilots for this issue with the rear either. Is a well known issue with them and some people have gone as far as having them fixed but Honda as done nothing I know of about it.

Seen this sort of issue with cradles and such on other vehicles/brands.

Doesn't have to be made into a recall if it doesn't meet requirements which all manufacturers play the grey areas with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2007 failed state inspection (PA) due to excessive corrosion in the rear frame and the risk of the rear-trailing separating from the frame and likelihood of an ensuing accident. The inspection station strongly recommended against repair due to the stress point, and integrity of the surrounding structures.

I opened a case with American Honda, and had an authorized Honda dealer take pictures. Current stance is they aren't going to do anything for me.

So... I opened a NHSTA complaint, pointing out:

This same issue was identified in 2019 by Transport Canada Recall # 2019025. (quoted the safety issues mentioned)

American Honda (USA) refuses to recognize the issue, and insists this is only a Honda Canada issue.

The problem with that stance is that Canadian production of the CR-V model did not begin until the 2012 model year. CR-Vs for both the Canadian and US markets for the 2007-2011 model years were primarily produced in East Liberty, OH, USA and Sayama, Saitama, Japan. Thus the manufacturing specifications for the frames of the vehicles subject to the Canadian recall will exactly match those sold in the USA as they came off the same production lines.

My vehicle came from Japan.

We'll see if this moves them any.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I am tempted to find someone to inspect our blue '09 and see if it is safe or not. I already files one NHTSA report in the past week for a 2002 Accord (the rear beam rust issue is very common due to a design flaw--the front suspension could partially detach if one rusts all the way through). Unless Honda wants an Ignitiongate (like GM) or Accelerationgate (Toyota), they'd better be paying attention to these reports...

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2007 failed state inspection (PA) due to excessive corrosion in the rear frame and the risk of the rear-trailing separating from the frame and likelihood of an ensuing accident. The inspection station strongly recommended against repair due to the stress point, and integrity of the surrounding structures.

I opened a case with American Honda, and had an authorized Honda dealer take pictures. Current stance is they aren't going to do anything for me.

So... I opened a NHSTA complaint, pointing out:

This same issue was identified in 2019 by Transport Canada Recall # 2019025. (quoted the safety issues mentioned)

American Honda (USA) refuses to recognize the issue, and insists this is only a Honda Canada issue.

The problem with that stance is that Canadian production of the CR-V model did not begin until the 2012 model year. CR-Vs for both the Canadian and US markets for the 2007-2011 model years were primarily produced in East Liberty, OH, USA and Sayama, Saitama, Japan. Thus the manufacturing specifications for the frames of the vehicles subject to the Canadian recall will exactly match those sold in the USA as they came off the same production lines.

My vehicle came from Japan.

We'll see if this moves them any.
Anyone encountering this issue, I would encourage you to:

1 - call Honda Customer Service (800) 999-1009 and get a case number assigned to it
2 - file a complaint on the NHTSA web site

As of now Honda (US) is not doing anything, but perhaps if they hear enough they will.

As of now, there are 10 complaints of this in the NHTSA database within the last year, 8 failures occurring while the vehicle was on the road. All in states that encounter inclement weather and utilize road salt. All the reported failures I have found pertain to the 2007-2009 model years, which is consistent with information from the Canadian recall I found - even though it applies to 2007-2011. Could be an age factor, or perhaps Honda did something to address the issue with the 2010 model year "facelift".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts