Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, has anyone experience this problem? I have removed the whole wiper motor assembly and replaced the wiper motor cover plate Genuine Honda 76505-SNA-305 Bottom Cover Assembly, but still only operating at full speed only. Can the motor be at fault for the first two speed settings or could the problem be stalk related or something else electrical? Thanks
Ps forgot to mention that ..... when I take the whole wiper assembly and transmission out and lay it in the engine bay connected ...the thing works as it should?! When I bolt it in, it doesn鈥檛 馃槫 and only gives me high speed.

Registered
2010 LX 4wd
Hi, has anyone experience this problem? I have removed the whole wiper motor assembly and replaced the wiper motor cover plate Genuine Honda 76505-SNA-305 Bottom Cover Assembly, but still only operating at full speed only. Can the motor be at fault for the first two speed settings or could the problem be stalk related or something else electrical? Thanks
Thinking wiper relay

Registered
Just a couple of shots in the dark ( wild guesses / something to try ) that may not work but there is no great loss in trying them and if they do work you will know what to do to fix it.

1) By hard reset, I am guessing they mean to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes and do not use any kind of memory saver to keep the voltage of the vehicles system up while the battery is disconnected. Then put the negative terminal back on, and see if that makes a difference in how it works. Of course you may loose some things like the programed channels on the radio, and or any navigation features ( the later of which may require you to enter a code ). Some codes like for the radio are written into the owners manual if you vehicle uses that.

2) When you laid the whole thing on the whipper assembly and transmission in the engine bay, it may very well be that if there were metal parts of the assembly and or transmission that touched metal in the engine bay, that the contact provided an electric ground that was needed to make it operate properly, and that somehow when it is installed in the vehicle that ground is missing. If this is the case than you will have to supply the ground to get it to work properly.

SEL crv 09, just my 2 cents worth of try. I have not worked on on of the systems you are dealing with, but from what you posted those are things I would try if it were mine.

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
This is just a W.A.G. since your UK car is different than American ones...

But I would investigate the wiper switch. You MIGHT have a loose connection, or it could have been replaced with the wrong variety. (I remember owners swapping-in Acura stalks in order to get variable-intermittent wipers rather than just one intermittent speed, and that required swapping a wire terminal in the supply harness. )

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Just a couple of shots in the dark ( wild guesses / something to try ) that may not work but there is no great loss in trying them and if they do work you will know what to do to fix it.

1) By hard reset, I am guessing they mean to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes and do not use any kind of memory saver to keep the voltage of the vehicles system up while the battery is disconnected. Then put the negative terminal back on, and see if that makes a difference in how it works. Of course you may loose some things like the programed channels on the radio, and or any navigation features ( the later of which may require you to enter a code ). Some codes like for the radio are written into the owners manual if you vehicle uses that.

2) When you laid the whole thing on the whipper assembly and transmission in the engine bay, it may very well be that if there were metal parts of the assembly and or transmission that touched metal in the engine bay, that the contact provided an electric ground that was needed to make it operate properly, and that somehow when it is installed in the vehicle that ground is missing. If this is the case than you will have to supply the ground to get it to work properly.

SEL crv 09, just my 2 cents worth of try. I have not worked on on of the systems you are dealing with, but from what you posted those are things I would try if it were mine.
Thank you , worth a try on the ground issue- so weird how out of situ it functions and in situ, not playing ball.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
This is just a W.A.G. since your UK car is different than American ones...

But I would investigate the wiper switch. You MIGHT have a loose connection, or it could have been replaced with the wrong variety. (I remember owners swapping-in Acura stalks in order to get variable-intermittent wipers rather than just one intermittent speed, and that required swapping a wire terminal in the supply harness. )
Also my wife is sticking to her guns with the the wiper stick being at fault, as sure as damn it that鈥檒l be the last thing that gets replaced that will solve it I鈥檓 sure 馃檮馃ぃ

Registered
2007 CRV
What gets me is that the schematic in the Haynes manual says
there are four wires to the wiper motor.
And taking it out I see five pins??
Anyway, Blue is Fr Wip Hi, Yellow is Fr Wip Lo, White is Fr Wip As (?)
All three go to the multiplex integrated control unit (MICU)
And the black is ground.
I have seen some wiper motors use the casing as a ground path.
Still do not know what the fifth pin is for??

Do not know why it would function correctly
when out on engine and not function when installed?
I would have taken voltage reading on the wires both in and out of installation.
Especially while working in Lo speed and hi, take voltage readings
If there was a difference then would be telling me
where to look and maybe what to look for??
Short?? Or Open?? Ground or no ground??

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
What gets me is that the schematic in the Haynes manual says
there are four wires to the wiper motor.
And taking it out I see five pins??
Anyway, Blue is Fr Wip Hi, Yellow is Fr Wip Lo, White is Fr Wip As (?)
All three go to the multiplex integrated control unit (MICU)
And the black is ground.
I have seen some wiper motors use the casing as a ground path.
Still do not know what the fifth pin is for??

Do not know why it would function correctly
when out on engine and not function when installed?
I would have taken voltage reading on the wires both in and out of installation.
Especially while working in Lo speed and hi, take voltage readings
If there was a difference then would be telling me
where to look and maybe what to look for??
Short?? Or Open?? Ground or no ground??

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Avisitor
That is helpful so I can check the earth as you say. I noticed that there is a ground point in the plastic motor plate cover which there is internal wiring in the plastic plate, I鈥檒l remove the motor assembly and look again and perhaps created a positive earth from that point. I noticed 3 brushes inside the motor case when I stripped the old original one and noticed a wire had come
Free from the brush itself so that鈥檚 why that failed- couldn鈥檛 get a decent fix with solder so that why I have this second hand unit in.
interestingly Honda have come back to me and said it鈥檒l be the motor itself. 馃

Registered
2007 CRV
That pdf said it was for wipers which does not park correctly or keeps running.
Wiper motor is suppose to be faulty.
You do not have the other modes of operation, intermittent and lo.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
[/QUOTE

I鈥檒l do some of my own diagnostics with the info I have and report back with some positives hopefully.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I have ground/earth continuity from the motor wires to the bodywork. I have voltage on high setting at around 12 V but the mid setting is down to 11V from the MICU?

Earth wires give good continuity from motor casing to car body (strut mount bolts).
4 wires from car to Motor but then a 5 wire appears in the connector from the car to the motor.

Changed the switch stalk and still the same probs.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you , worth a try on the ground issue- so weird how out of situ it functions and in situ, not playing ball.
Whilst changing the wiper stalk I disconnected the battery so would assume the hard reset has taken place at this point.
still same probs and its doesn't appear to be the stalk.:unsure:

Registered
2007 CRV
So, let us apply some logic ...
Taking wiper motor out and it works correctly.
Installed and it only works on high
Replaced stalk switch and same issue
It says to me that the wiper motor is fine (the new one)
It is not the stalk switch.
Then only thing left is the wiring
The wiring must be shorted somewhere.
Which wire and where?
Would have to do a visual inspection of wiring and hope to find it

Good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts