Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning, my 2009 CRV has 268,000 miles on it. It has been a great hard working vehicle. It gets regular service with synthetic oil. My mechanic has suggested that I get the Transmission Fluid changed/flushed. I have received conflicting advice about this and other maintenance suggested by shops. With the high mileage this car has, what do you suggest?? And is there anything other major maintenance I need to look at? Thank you so much for the advice.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Good Morning, my 2009 CRV has 268,000 miles on it. It has been a great hard working vehicle. It gets regular service with synthetic oil. My mechanic has suggested that I get the Transmission Fluid changed/flushed. I have received conflicting advice about this and other maintenance suggested by shops. With the high mileage this car has, what do you suggest?? And is there anything other major maintenance I need to look at? Thank you so much for the advice.
That depends on a few things. How often did you change your transmission fluid? And when was the last time you changed your transmission fluid?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, I know this sounds like I don't know anything, but I really don't think it has ever been changed. It has been suggested for years but we had gotten conflicting advice. Some said, "no don't do that, it will mess up your engine" and some said "wait a while, it's not that important". But now with 268,000 miles I am trying to make sure it lasts a few years longer.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,889 Posts
^^^ In that case, have it drained and refilled 3 times (NOT flushed) which will give you 95% new ATF fluid.

Honda DW-1 ATF is the best to use. If your mechanic doesn't have it on hand, offer to buy some from a Honda dealer for him to use. (You need a little more than three quarts for each ATF drain).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much. That makes sense. I am assuming that since it is not a "flush" then we can do this ourselves.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,889 Posts
Honda Type II coolant (the Blue stuff) keeps your cooling system remarkably clean. Just peek under the radiator cap, the openings should be fine.

If you want to do that (I believe the initial recommendation is 100K miles first drain, every 50K after that) you could wait until you 'get a round tuit'.

il_570xN.773601339_3s2o.jpg

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Thank you so much. That makes sense. I am assuming that since it is not a "flush" then we can do this ourselves.
Yes, a Honda 'flush' is 4 drain and fills, or at least it was on the 2nd Gen. But, the big thing is to do the first one and then drive for around for 20- 100 miles before doing the 2nd, This helps the new fluid to more gradually clean out some deposits, varnish , etc. At least that is what I've been told by many. Very easy to do and there are youtube vids showing how to do it. You don't even have to jack up the CRV. Hardest part after removing the drain bolt is refilling with new fluid, and that isn't hard at all. A new washer for the drain plug is recommended overall. Some will just put a new washer on at the last drain and fill.
3 drain and fills will get you somewhere close to the 80% new fluid. The first one will get you around 34% for 4WD and 36.5% for a 2WD of new fluid. (Just divide the amt drained by the total capacity of the tranny . 2.6/7.6 for 4WD and 2.7/7.4 for 2wd.
I would recommend driving around 100 miles or more between each successive drain and fill. Yes, do use Honda DW-1 atf.
Buffalo4
PS: Don't forget to flush your brake fluid also. Is your vehicle a 4wd or 2wd?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Anyway here is the equation for dilution for the ATF. y=% of new fluid remaining, n=number of drains/refills.

y= 1 - 0.58^n.

3.5 qt drain ATF divided by 8.3 qt total volume ATF = 3.5/8.3 = 0.42 This is an example where 3.5qts is for the normal drain and 8.3 qts is the total capacity of the AT

Means 42% new ATF = 1-0.58 = 1 – (58/100) = 0.42 = 42% ATF after first drain.

Typing ^ is the fast way to indicate a superscript exponent, without the hassle of using the symbol function. e.g. 3^2 = 9. See the Google machine.

Y = 1 – 0.58^X ; where y = % new ATF and X= number (N) of drains.

2nd drain: y = 1 – 0.58^2 = 1 - (0.58 x 0.58) = 1 - 0.34 = 0.66 = 66% new ATF

New ATF % per successive drains: 42; 66; 81; 89; 94; etc. Again, only an example and the % changes with amt drained and total capacity of the AT.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You dont need to drive around to let the new fluid clean things if fluid changes are done regularly. Just driving a short distance is enough to circulate new fluid so you can drain and fill again.

If it's rather dirty inside the transmission having deposits come loose can cause more problems than new fluid can ever fix as it can cause valves to stick in the valve body and solenoids.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
You dont need to drive around to let the new fluid clean things if fluid changes are done regularly. Just driving a short distance is enough to circulate new fluid so you can drain and fill again.

If it's rather dirty inside the transmission having deposits come loose can cause more problems than new fluid can ever fix as it can cause valves to stick in the valve body and solenoids.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yes, if you dont think you have ever changed the fluid in 268k miles, do NOT change it now for those exact reasons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts