Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hope someone can help.
My wife's 2009 CRV had a flat battery so i used jump leads to put some power back into battery. Car now starts (though i think there is a problem with the battery as this is the second time i've had to jump lead it).
However the PGM-FI light stays on and won't go out.
Car is starting OK but i haven't driven it just in case. I'm certain this is linked to the flat battery or maybe because i jumped started it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
The PGM-F1 light is supposed to reset when the engine is started, and it sets and keeps the code even after it resets.
Get the code read. Places like autozone etc will read it for free. Many low cost readers online for under $15 that will work with a smartphone etc.

Until you get a better answer:
Put a battery charger on the low battery.
Check to see if the battery fluid is low, ( the tops of any plates showing dry).
Perhaps the battery is faulty. How old is this battery?
Check out this thread for possible help: Electrics - PGM-FI error - help please
If this happened for the first time AFTER you jump started the crv, perhaps the offending cause will be found in the trouble codes.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Thank you for the reply.
It could possibly be a faulty battery as I think its quite old. Would replacing the battery if faulty, reset the PGM-FI error?
When I turn the ignition key for all the dashboard lights to come one, the PGM-FI lights come on and then goes off for a brief couple of seconds but then comes back and stays on even after engine has started.

Because of the current COVID-19 lock down in the UK the car hasn't gone anywhere so i jumped started it last week, didn't drive it and the error didn't appear. Since then the battery went flat again on the drive and i jumped it again today, this is when the PGM-FI light stayed on for the first time. The car hasn't been driven anywhere so its very odd. I can't see how it's not linked to either the battery or maybe the jump start has put a surge through something electrical.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Thank you for the reply.
It could possibly be a faulty battery as I think its quite old. Would replacing the battery if faulty, reset the PGM-FI error?
When I turn the ignition key for all the dashboard lights to come one, the PGM-FI lights come on and then goes off for a brief couple of seconds but then comes back and stays on even after engine has started.

Because of the current COVID-19 lock down in the UK the car hasn't gone anywhere so i jumped started it last week, didn't drive it and the error didn't appear. Since then the battery went flat again on the drive and i jumped it again today, this is when the PGM-FI light stayed on for the first time. The car hasn't been driven anywhere so its very odd. I can't see how it's not linked to either the battery or maybe the jump start has put a surge through something electrical.
In the owners manual it states you should start and stop the engine 3 times with a 30 second gap between each go to clear the fault,if I were you I would let it run for about 5minutes for the first go,there is some way of telling the age of a battery,I
think it gives you the month and year stamped into it somewhere at the top.This will tell you if you need a new one because
your lucky to get more than 5 years.On ebay you can get a solar photocell charger,it won't charge from dead but will top up
by something like 80 watts on a sunny day.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks PaulWatson. I will remove the old battery, leave it off for about 20 mins and then fit a new battery as the old battery isn't holding charge. If that doesn't remove the error code, I will then follow your advice above.
If all else fails I will purchase an error code reader for £20 and see what's causing it. I'm sure its nothing major and can reset the code using the code reader.
Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, i have now replaced the battery and car starts fine now however the error message still displays even after trying the stop/start 3 times. i am confused as the error message only came on after i jumped started the car on the second time.
i think i may have to buy a code reader and find out what the cause is and if there isn't a cause. i can then reset it using the code reader.

Thanks for all your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts