Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 CRV that was maintained very well by the former owners.
I bought the CRV when it had 90,000 miles and a full service was done.
I have only put 3900 miles on it and the oil light symbol came on (the little wrench and it said 15%)

If those Hondas have a 5000 mile oil life, why did my light come on?

Should I just reset that symbol and get my oil change at the 5000 mile mark or schedule
an oil change right away?

Someone help please---I am confused.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,550 Posts
It's possible that the MM wasn't reset. (Many used car dealers do a quick oil change, to mask problems.)

If you have documentation (not just someone's word) that the oil change was done, you could just reset the 'wrench' (after noting what services other than oil are due).

But, if there is any doubt, get the oil changed.

What type of driving do you do? If all short trips (in relatively cold temperatures) it is conceivable that the Maintenance Minder is accurate. If you ARE a 'short tripper' or the car isn't used daily, remember too that Honda recommends changing oil once a year even if the wrench isn't illuminated.

++++++++++++

It's amazing how some unsuspecting owners think that oil changes only constitute 'very well maintained'. There is a lot more to maintenance: ATF, rear diff fluids (if AWD), brake fluid. Lets not talk about cabin filters...

·
Registered
2009 Honda CR-V LX 4WD
50 Posts
I would bite the bullet, and do the oil change so I would know when it was changed and with what oil. You might also consider doing other fluids to establish a base line.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have only put 3900 miles on it and the oil light symbol came on (the little wrench and it said 15%)

Should I just reset that symbol and get my oil change at the 5000 mile mark or schedule

If you follow the MM or Maintenance Minder (Little Wrench) you may find that you can go longer than 5000 miles between changes. On my previous 2009 CRV, we would rounteenly go 10,000 between changes. Our current 2014 CRV is holding at 9,500 miles between. It all depends on how the car is driven. The MM will also indicate what services are needed. My last service was for a B12 which is:

B – Means to replace engine oil and oil filter. Also inspect various systems and components (see applicable service manual for details).

1 – Rotate tires, and check tire pressure and condition.
2 – Replace air cleaner element, check drive belt, and replace dust and pollen filter.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Definitely don't just reset the maintenance minder without doing service. Doing so will supposedly throw off the maintenance schedule (or so says the service manual).

On both of our '09s, I ended up replacing all fluids at the first oil change just so I know everything is taken care of. I might have been wasting coolant (for example) but better to replace it and know it's current.

I had to replace my oil at the 15% level this week only due to leaving on a 5,000+ mile road trip a week from now, at which point it would have been about 3,500+ miles overdue.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,879 Posts
I agree with everything said here. Don't just reset the minder. Go ahead and change the oil and filter then reset the minder. If you can do it yourself go to Walmart and buy Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy with a Mobil 1 110A filter. That will cost you about $30, otherwise go to the dealer an get it done. If you do a lot of city driving you will need oil changes more frequently.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK---This is part 2 of "Oil Change Frequency"

My dealer said that even though the oil was changed at 90,000 and the mileage minder (the little wrench) reset--
The computer calculated that because I do so much city driving, it estimated that I have 15% of oil life left.

Under the 15%--there is the Letter "A" and 13---I was told that it isn't 13---but 1--3---1 means tire rotation---but couldn't remember what "3" meant.

So CRV owners---what does the "A" mean? and what does the "3" mean? (are there other letters?)

Also will it count down from 15%-- like 14--13--12--etc....?

Thanks for all the replys.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
The minder will say 15%, 10%, 5%, then it will start counting negative miles past when the service was due.

Here are the maintenance minder codes for the 3rd gen CR-V, straight out of the service manual:

In other words, "A 1 3" means oil change, tire rotation and transmission fluid change (drain and fill). The Z1 fluid has been superseded by DW1; never substitute for anything else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently got the same code A13 and I did my oil and filter change and transmission oil change on my own. It was my first time changing transmission oil on a Honda but it could not be easier!

I bought 4 quarts of genuine Honda DW-1 from the dealer and a drain bolt washer. The dealership charged me $10 a quart and $4 for one washer! I drained the fluid and measured it. It was about 4L, so I poured in the same amount through the dip stick hole. It was done faster than an oil change because Honda transmission filters are not accessible.

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts
I recently got the same code A13 and I did my oil and filter change and transmission oil change on my own. It was my first time changing transmission oil on a Honda but it could not be easier!

I bought 4 quarts of genuine Honda DW-1 from the dealer and a drain bolt washer. The dealership charged me $10 a quart and $4 for one washer! I drained the fluid and measured it. It was about 4L, so I poured in the same amount through the dip stick hole. It was done faster than an oil change because Honda transmission filters are not accessible.
I would recommend you to change the tranmission oil filter as well. Its located under the radiator. It a fairly easy accessible.

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts

Check the oil dipstick for the condition of the oil. 3900 miles is fairly early to be change, then again its all depending on your driving habits (towing and/or stop and go city driving) and your environment that you live in. If you are in an area prone to extreme heat/cold, where Honda considered as severe weather, it make sense to change about 3900 miles.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Because the change interval isn't strictly the number of miles driven, it's also the amount of time since the last change.

The best example I can give is the Owners Manual for a 2006 CR-V, which did not have the maintenance minder. It actually had two Maintenance Schedules printed in the manual, one for "Normal" driving conditions, and one for "Severe" driving conditions. The funny thing is if you look at the definition of Normal and Severe, almost everyone should have been using the severe schedule.

And most items on the schedule were mileage or time, followed by "whichever comes first".

Severe schedule for oil change:
Every 5,000miles (8,000 km) or every 6months, whichever comes first

Normal schedule for oil change:
Every 10,000miles (16,000 km) or every 1 year, whichever comes first

So even if you're on the "Normal" schedule, you still change the oil every year, regardless of how many miles you drove that year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts