Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, I do have a digital volt meter installed in my 2009 V dash. My battery totally died on me this past Sunday, after I had just parked it up the night before. For the last week or so before, I did notice that the voltage has been dropping down to 12.1 volts, intermittently, and then jumping back up to 13.x, sort of cycling. Seems like if I'm driving slow, with engine speed below 3000 rpms, the voltage stays low at 12.1 but if I floor the pedal and speed up, the voltage go back up to 13.x until I slow down or come to a stop again. When I stop at a red light, if the voltage is at 12.1 and I shift into neutral, the voltage immediately jumps up to 13.x, although I am stopped. This leads me to believe it's a regulating problem.
I just replaced the battery and should know within a day or two if the alternator is properly charging the battery. The voltage cycling is still going on, with the brand new battery installed. If the battery dies out again, I will have no choice but to look into replacing the alternator.
Has anyone experienced the same or similar problem before, with the voltage cycling? I was wondering if maybe the voltage regulator on the rear of the alternator may be the culprit, fluctuating and not properly allowing the alternator to charge the battery? Any suggestions on past experiences with anything like this problem would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone know what the normal voltage output of the 2009 V is supposed to be, with a properly functioning alternator?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
My '07 and '10 charging voltages

Anyone know what the normal voltage output of the 2009 V is supposed to be, with a properly functioning alternator?
With voltmeter in lower dash utility socket, before starting it is around 12.8. Engine running steady state is 14.1 at idle and in normal driving. At high RPM it will rise to 14.2 After start it goes up to 14.3 for a short while then back to 14.1. If I start it with the AC on and fan on high speed it will drop to 13.8 but for a very short time. Outside temperature doesn't affect it much.

The '10 was built in May 2010 in East Liberty Ohio, and came with a Honda battery with a sticker saying Manufactured for Honda of America by Johnson Controls, Milwaukee Wisconsin. This battery is still working after 11 years!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Firstly, I do have a digital volt meter installed in my 2009 V dash. My battery totally died on me this past Sunday, after I had just parked it up the night before. For the last week or so before, I did notice that the voltage has been dropping down to 12.1 volts, intermittently, and then jumping back up to 13.x, sort of cycling. Seems like if I'm driving slow, with engine speed below 3000 rpms, the voltage stays low at 12.1 but if I floor the pedal and speed up, the voltage go back up to 13.x until I slow down or come to a stop again. When I stop at a red light, if the voltage is at 12.1 and I shift into neutral, the voltage immediately jumps up to 13.x, although I am stopped. This leads me to believe it's a regulating problem.
I just replaced the battery and should know within a day or two if the alternator is properly charging the battery. The voltage cycling is still going on, with the brand new battery installed. If the battery dies out again, I will have no choice but to look into replacing the alternator.
Has anyone experienced the same or similar problem before, with the voltage cycling? I was wondering if maybe the voltage regulator on the rear of the alternator may be the culprit, fluctuating and not properly allowing the alternator to charge the battery? Any suggestions on past experiences with anything like this problem would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is normal operation for a Honda. There is an Electronic Load Detector that shuts down the alternator to save gas.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From your replies, it seems like my alternator is outputting slightly lower than the norm. I rarely see it go over 14 volts, even at cold start-up. That might be wha's contributing to the faster than normal deterioration of my vehicle batteries. The last battery was installed in 2015; top of the line Bosch battery and only lasted 4 years.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
All Hondas, since about mid 90's use what is called a dual charge system for the battery. It will typically be at 14.2-14.5 volts when charging and will decline to 12.5-12.7 when the current sensor determines that the battery is fully charged. Charge status of the battery is determined by sensing the current on the ground return. This is done to minimize total engine load over time, and to contribute to sleightly better fuel mileage. You can defeat it by turning on the headlights or putting the cabin air blower to max.. which forces it to 14.2-14.5. For reference: https://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1011&context=auto_pres

The voltages you are reporting seem to be off of normal for a good battery, and dual charge system. It should never go below 12.5 (though I have seen 12.4 on occasion.. which is probably a measuring difference between the sensing circuit and my volt meter) when the engine is running. And the bottom threshold of 12.5 means your vehicle will actually draw down some battery power from full charge.. leaving a battery at less then 100% charge when you shut down for the day (this is one thing i do not like about Hondas.... because on short trips it means your batter is rarely recharged to full before you stop driving again).

The easiest way to find the source of your issue would be to insure you have a fully charged battery in the vehicle and then either go to your local auto parts store and ask them to test your battery and charging system, or you could do this at home with one of the low cost battery/charge system devices readily available today. I personally use this one, once a month to check my battery health and alternator ripple test (which will tell you if you have a bad diode, which can discharge a battery). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0ARG3X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You can also check your battery performance when starting your engine with this.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts