Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

As a Christmas present, I have purchased an automatic car starter for the CRV for my wife. I'm fairly good at working on cars so far, although I haven't done any of my own work on the CRV yet, and I'm excellent at reading/following directions so I think I will be okay. Everything I have read says that to install this starter myself (with keyless bypass module) should take around 5 hours. Mostly for price reasons, I purchased the RS1-G5 by Crimestopper. They sent along installation instructions as well as a wiring chart.

I just want to know if anyone has any tips I should know before I try to do this myself. 5 hours seems like a really long time, but maybe I don't really know what I am getting into.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My instructions from the vendor tell me I don't need to use these wires, even though they are listed in the installation manual. Just want to check if this is accurate:

Yellow - Horn Chirp Honk Output - This makes the car honk when it is started, correct? Doesn't seem necessary
Brown - Trunk Pop - Allows remote start key to pop the trunk. The diagram shows it running to a relay; may be more hassle than it's worth.
Pink - Glow Plug - Not diesel, so not needed.
Orange - Alarm System - Not installed, so not needed.
Red/White - Tachometer Input - Allows me to switch from Tach or Tachless engine monitoring. This is only necessary if the voltage adjusted "smart tach" mode does not work properly. The default voltage reference threshold is 93%. Is that good?
Orange/White - ACC, IGN, or AUX 2 Output - No idea?
Blue/Orange - (-)Starter Output - Push to Start, not needed.
Green - OEM Interface or Default Neg. Start Activation - I don't fully understand this one. If I don't use this wire, will my OEM keyless entry keys still work to unlock the door?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
All I can say is good luck! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good News! I was able to get the starter completely hooked up and it works!

I tested the starter 3 times and it worked and I was able to shut it off with the brake pedal as intended so I was quite happy. It took me approximately 10 hours start to finish.

While it works, it isn't 100% where I want it to be yet. Here are some remaining questions I have:

1) How do you remove the stupid driver kick panel? I need to get inside to connect the power lock wires but it wouldn't move. I pulled so hard, part of it started to break.

2) The remote start only works with the antenna attached and the instructions show the antenna should be located near the top of the windshield. So:
A) How do you run the wire from under the dash through the top of the dash?
B) Taping a wire up the whole side of my windshield seems tacky. Is there a better option or can it be at the bottom of the windshield?

3) The gray wire is supposed to connect to the provided hood pin to prevent the car from remote starting when the hood is open.
A) How do I run a wire from under the dash out to the engine without drilling a hole?
B) I will have to drill a hole for the hood pin; any suggestions on a good location?

4) 2 features I didn't connect, and I don't know if they are worth it are the horn chirp when the car remote starts and the trunk pop with the key fob. I wouldn't mind the trunk pop, but as far as I understand the instructions, I would need to buy a relay and connect it which seems more trouble than it's worth.

Like I said, the remote start works so if I can't fix any of that, it doesn't matter that much. I can always secure the antenna under the dash, I just think the range wouldn't be as good. I would like my wife to be able to start the car from inside her work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts