Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving my check fuel lamp keeps coming on. I checked the fuel cap and twisted it to click several times. After a short time while driving the warning comes on again. I am able to clear this warning by pressing the trip odometer button. Should I have the fuel evap canister system checked at the dealer or is this something that I can check?

·
Registered
343 Posts
While driving my check fuel lamp keeps coming on. I checked the fuel cap and twisted it to click several times. After a short time while driving the warning comes on again. I am able to clear this warning by pressing the trip odometer button. Should I have the fuel evap canister system checked at the dealer or is this something that I can check?

I would wait a couple days to see if it goes away. If it wasn't tightened properly to begin with and you did tighten it until you heard the ratchet clicks then it will take the ECU a few engine stop/starts for it to reset. From experience it takes awhile for the system to reset.

If it still persists then have it checked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my case, I ignored that message until it got annoying so I just did some research, so let me share my story in case you haven't fixed it yet.

It is most likely NOT the fuel cap, rather an EVAP purge solenoid which tends to go bad. I went and bought it from the dealer for $57 CAD+tax. The part number for the 2010 CRV is 36162-RRA-A01. You have to remove 2 screws and one wiring harness, and to access it you have to remove the top part of the air filter and just set it aside for a bit (the solenoid is located on the driver's side just next to the engine block). Dealer wanted $200 in labor (2h), ended up doing it myself. After the car reached operating temperature the message went away and never came back. While it might not fix it for you (highly doubt it) it is way more cost efficient than running diagnostics and paying 2-3 hours of labour.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
In my case, I ignored that message until it got annoying so I just did some research, so let me share my story in case you haven't fixed it yet.

It is most likely NOT the fuel cap, rather an EVAP purge solenoid which tends to go bad. I went and bought it from the dealer for $57 CAD+tax. The part number for the 2010 CRV is 36162-RRA-A01. You have to remove 2 screws and one wiring harness, and to access it you have to remove the top part of the air filter and just set it aside for a bit (the solenoid is located on the driver's side just next to the engine block). Dealer wanted $200 in labor (2h), ended up doing it myself. After the car reached operating temperature the message went away and never came back. While it might not fix it for you (highly doubt it) it is way more cost efficient than running diagnostics and paying 2-3 hours of labour.
Thanks for this info! I would add a couple of other recommendations: Never, ever go to a dealer if avoidable. They are unskilled parts replacers and will overcharge you by all they can. Instead, get yourself a factory service manual. Mine is 3,200 pages long and has vast amounts of troubleshooting data and step-by-step instructions.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Yep, if the cap is secure and you've driven several times and the light still goes on, it's the evap solenoid. I did it myself also. I even have a spare in case it goes out on our blue CR-V. Mine was the same issue. Cap was fine, and it did this for a few months until things warmed up enough that I could replace it. Simple job!

I think I posted about this elsewhere. Common problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts